tohatsu 35 jet vs 40 mercury jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotshotinn

Reaction score
i have been checkng into both and the mercury has 5 more horse power the tohatsu is lighter and is a two stroke the mercury is more weight but is a four stroke the shops here local say the tohatsu is better but the man at trout and sons say the mercury is number one in that class of horse power motor does anyone have any input about either jet motor this would be a tiller handle motor and would be installed on my 1448 for top performance

Check again..... The Mercury is a 4 stroke 40hp powerhead that only puts out 29hp at the pump. Its a 4 stroke and weighs 267lbs dry..before you add engine oil https://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/jets/fourstroke-jet-outboards/

The Tohatsu is a 2 stroke 3 cylinder 50HP powerhead that puts out 35hp at the pump! And it ONLY weighs 196lbs. No engine oil to add to a 2 smoker either!!!! https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/35jet_spec.html

2 stroke instant power, 5 more ponies, Cheaper, and its 71lbs lighter. My choice would be the Tohatsu! No way would I pay more for less power and 71 extra lbs! I have been looking at troutt and sons for a long time dreaming of a jet boat. Im pretty sure they have Mercs on most of thier boats. Which means they are a merc dealer. Which means they are going to try to sell you a merc.

If your worried about Tohatsu quality.. All Mercury and Nissan outboards under 35 hp are made by Tohatsu. The reason the Jet doesn't fall into that category is because its actually a 50 hp motor. Merc and Nissan put thier name on them so thats good enough for me.

The man said the mercury 40 jet is a 60 horse powerhead and that makes it 40 hp at the pump.Tohatsu is 50 powerhead and makes 35 at the pump.Yamaha has one that is 40 powerhead and makes around 30 at the pump.Good thing about the mercury is the impeller is stainless steel and the others are alumanum.All of the above woulkd be good on my 1448 and if i can aford the mercury i will get it.I have plans of getting a bigger boat anyway so I could live with the extra weight and speed untill then

I would trust the Manufacturers specs over a salesmans "word for it"!

Yamaha specs here... they rate thiers at the powerhead as well. A 40hp is really putting out 30 at the pump https://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcatspecs/3/specs.aspx

Your right though, any one of them would be cool on a 1448. Im jealous.

If your buyin a jet buy a 2 stroke, plain and simple. If your putting a jet on it and it's under a 100hp OMC is the only way to go, no if and or buts about it.
Small mercs are dogs when you put a pump on them. Most of the time a 40/28 OMC can run with or out run a 60/40 merc.
That's my 2 cents.

I don't know how the Pennsylvania law rates it. If you have a 35/25 jet is it legal to run it on a 25 hp max boat,or are you asking for trouble? Just wandering. Todd

I really wanted to buy a used OMC 40 or 50 horse and add a jet unit but they are very hard to find,i found one and that one was sold out from under me.I have found two others but they want to much money for them,by the time you buy the motor and add the new jet unit on them the price would put them over 5 grand.5 grand for used isnot smart so might as well buy new with a warranty.Maybe someone knows where I could buy a good used 40 or 50 OMC?

I checked out the Mercury spec and they are 40/28 jet.Now why did the man at Trout and sons tell me they were 60/40 jets? [-X

I wouldn't spend 5,000 on a motor either but I've never seen a 40hp price close to that around here. Be patient they're worth it.
As for the trouts guys, they could just be that goofy or it could be that it's not a factory jet so it would be a 60hp motor they've added a jet to. Either way 4 stroke are SLOW!!!

Hello, Just found this site by recomendation from trophyfishingtn site. I run a Wooldridge alaskan with a Yammy V-max. 150/105. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself.
Eric.DSC00005 (Small).JPG

hotshotinn said:
I checked out the Mercury spec and they are 40/28 jet.Now why did the man at Trout and sons tell me they were 60/40 jets? [-X

I thought you got that when I posted the links to the merc and Tohatsu web sites on my earlier posts and quoted them to you?

They told you that because they are trying to sell you a motor!!!!!!!!!!! That and half the kids that work at dealer ships don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Most newer motors are rated at the prop and reflect that rating on the cowling sticker. In the old days they were rated at the motor and it was up to you to find out how much hp was lost at the prop after you bought it.

Jets still seem to do it the old way. Every jet motor I have looked at has been rated at the motor.. Except the Tohatsu. It is rated at the jet. Maybe its becuase the jet lower unit is an after market item or something. Either way always check the specs.

Find a salesman that knows what he's talking about too! Maybe Current River Marine??? I called them and talked for about 30 min one time and they were friendly and knowledgeable....When I say knowledgeable, I mean he knew the history of jet outboards where they originated and why, different applications and what size boat would run best with what size motor and how to set it up for different applications. Benefits of tunnel hull and non tunnel hull boats, chine design. All kinds of stuff. More than enough to convince me that I would drive from FL to Doniphan MO to buy a Blazer or Gator jet boat if and when the time/money comes that I can do so.

Maybe the guy was new and just didn't know what he was talking about? I doubt he lied to you about it intentionally, but it would be enough to make me not trust him. If they have been helpfull other wise, maybe just talk to the sales manager or speak to someone that hs been there a little longer and has some experience with jets.

The reason the guy at t&s told you it was a 40 is because it's a true 40 at the jet foot, those guys really know their stuff. The new merc 4 stroke jets are measured at the output of the jet. I have the 25 4 stroke merc and it's night and day difference between it and the old 25/20 2 stoke. Looking at the chart the 40 hp 4 stoke should handle about 1300-1400 lbs gross weight. The fuel economy and quietness of the is worth it for the 4 stroke. Just my 2 cents

The stickers on the cowling of the new yamaha jets are the hp out of the pump but yet the model number says the powerhead hp, so atleast they are labeled correctly, if you're looking for a factory warranty they offer a 60/40 and a 40/30, I've owned both, never had a minutes trouble

Have you gotten a price quote on the tohatsu? Just wondering what they cost because its an excellent hp/weight ratio

Lawnman said:
The reason the guy at t&s told you it was a 40 is because it's a true 40 at the jet foot, those guys really know their stuff. The new merc 4 stroke jets are measured at the output of the jet. I have the 25 4 stroke merc and it's night and day difference between it and the old 25/20 2 stoke. Looking at the chart the 40 hp 4 stoke should handle about 1300-1400 lbs gross weight. The fuel economy and quietness of the is worth it for the 4 stroke. Just my 2 cents

According to the Mercury website https://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/jets/fourstroke-jet-outboards/ the 25hp EFI jet fourstroke is really only 18.4hp at the Jet. If they measured it at the jet it would be called the 18 Mercury jet fourstroke?

And the 40EFI hp jet fourstroke would be called the 29 EFI jet fourstroke.

If they are measuring it at the Jet then why do they name it by the hp of the powerhead????

I'm not sure why it is like that on the website. They also have the same hp at the prop listed the 4 stroke prop model as the jet. All I can tell you by experience the difference between the 2 stroke 25/20 and the 25 4 stroke is significant. I would call mercury and ask them about the specs.

I have a 2010 60/40 Mercury 4 stroke jet on a 16 ft. Alweld. I bought them new from Trout and Sons. It is a 60 powerhead with 40 HP at the pump. They do come standard with a stainless impeller. My boat is completely decked out with carpet, center console, livewell, trolling motor, etc and with just me in it I can GPS 31 consistently. Joe knows his stuff.

Easiest way to tell if it's a true 60hp at the powerhead is by the size of the impeller. If it ain't a turning a 6 7/8" impeller it's not a 60hp plain and simple. Most 4 stroke mercs I've seen have the medium size pump turning th 6 1/8" impellers so that means they're 40/28, not sayin all of them are because it wouldn't be any big deal at all to buy a 60hp and bolt a jet to it, alot of shops do it like that, that might be what Trouts been doing. If you really want to know find out what size impeller it turns and how many cube the motors are, most of the times a 40hp and the 60hp models are diffrent cubic inches but the 40-50hp models have the same cube.
Four strokes probably do better on gas but when they're wide opoen they don't seem like they're that much quiter, kinda sound annoying to me.
All in all though a two stroke beats a four stroke out for power.

They come from mercury with the jets already attached and carry the full mercury warranty. They have the medium jet on the 60/40. the 40 EFI jet has the same displacement as the 60 EFI motor. Both are 4 cylinder also. The mercury website is very confusing to say the least. If you think Troutt and Sons don't know their business, call outboard jets direct and ask them. I did with a technical question about boat and motor configuration and they referred me to Joe Troutt!

By the way, The jet is the same size as I had on my old OMC 40/30 jet. The 40/30 2 stroke could not keep up with the 40
merc 4 stroke. My nephew has my old boat and we have run side by side many times. If the 40 merc were 40/30, the OMC
should be able to keep up with it since the OMC is on a lighter boat. It can not. It is about a 25 MPH boat. My heavier Alweld is a 31 MPH boat with the 60/40 merc.

The 4 stroke on a jet is not much quieter than a 2 stroke if any at all. The sound is deeper. It is nice not to have to mix fuel in a 4 stroke and the mileage is noticeably better. Warranty is better on 4 stroke. Downside, 4 strokes cost more, are heavier, and don't have as quick of a response.

I am not a mercury fanboy by any means and owned a small chain of boat dealerships for years before selling out. I have run most everything. If you are looking for ultra low maintainence go 4 stroke. If speed is your need 2 stroke is what you're needing.

Sorry so long winded. Hope this helps.

Latest posts