tohatsu 35 jet vs 40 mercury jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks JohnnyRazorhead,What brand of boat do you have? What gauge and do you possibly have any pictures ?
Thanks,BLW

wow you guys are quick to bash troutt and sons. I live 15 mins from their shop and its a family run business. been the same people working there for 30 years. they know their stuff and dont care whether they sell you a motor or not they will try to set you on the right track. Maybe some information was misinterpreted. Kind of what im leaning towards. Before you buy a motor, check on warranty length of each motor, and also check and see how much parts are in case you would ever need to buy a starter or waterpump. Yamaha engines are known for having really expensive electronics on them. Every engine is different. I agree though i'd deff go with a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke that small of an engine, but i doubt i'd go with tohatsu. Around here its pretty common for 100 jet boats to be on the gasconade river at the same time. All different brands. Walk up to a crowd and tell them you're thinking of buying a tohatsu instead of omc or merc and they'll laugh. I havent seen many of these outboards on the water, but the ones i have seen i was very unimpressed.

reedjj wrote: Check again..... The Mercury is a 4 stroke 40hp powerhead that only puts out 29hp at the pump.

That is wrong..... I had a 2003 Mercury 60EO Jet, 40 at the pump. This motor was on a Lowe Roughneck 1652. I now have a 2011 Tohatsu 50/35 Jet on a Lowe 1448... The Mercury motor seemed to be more powerful even though it was pushing a larger boat. I really wish i had it back.

reedjj said:
I took another look at the specs becuase I couldn't understand how the 40EFI jet fourstroke can be the exact same specs CC's, bore& stroke, 4 cylinders and all as the 40hp bigfoot motor and still put out 40hp at the jet. I thought they lost power when converted to a jet?

After taking another even closer look I noticed that the 40hp bigfoot had 4 cylinders, and was 995 CC's and the regular 40hp and the 40hp EFI were both 3 cylinder motors with 747 CC's.

Interestingly enough the 60hp EFI also has the exact same specs as the 40hp EFI Bigfoot...bore/stroke, CC's, 4 cylinders and everything.

The only difference is that the 40 EFI bigfoot has a gear ratio of 2.33:1 and the 60 EFI has a ratio of 1.83:1 (that is of no consequence when you pull the lower unit off an put jet drive on)...So they share the same power head just like Toby From Mo said.

The 60 EFI weighs a little less than the 40EFI bigfoot but I imagine the extra weight is in the "Big Foot".

This all means that the fourstroke 40Jet is really a 40EFI bigfoot (which is really a 60 EFI) with a Jet unit on it. NOT a 40hp or a 40EFI with a jet unit.

I was totally wrong in all my other posts. I apologize for the bad info, and for saying anything bad about troutt and sons. The sales guy was right and obviously knows his stuff! I was wrong, and obviously have no idea what im talking about!

NOW.... Why doesn't mercury make thier website easier to understand. Just tell me how much HP the dang thing has! I shouldn't have to do all this research to find it all out, and make a public fool of myself by quoting thier site and posting links to it to try and clear things up.... HP/kw @ prop gimme a break already! It sure looks like they mean 40/30???? Why don't they just say 60/40????

Its just like when they sell a 15hp for 2x what a 9.9hp is. We all know its the same motor with a different carb.

I posted this on page 2..