tohatsu 35 jet vs 40 mercury jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad, I'm use to the 2 strokes. Every 60hp 2 stroke I've seen turns a 6 7/8 impeller, and any smaller then that turnerd the 6 1/8.
I've never seen a 4 stroker that would touch a 2 stroke let alone a omc. Boat conditions and setup has as much to do with how they run as wiehgt does. Put the 40/30 on the alwed or vice versa and I think the numbers would be alot closer.
Thanks for straihgting me out on the 4 stroke. How many rpm's does yours turn?

My 4 stroke turns 5000 rpm. My personal take on the 2 vs. 4 stroke on jets is very little top end difference if they are turning the same rpm. 2 stroke has slight speed advantage due to less weight. 2 stroke is much quicker out of the hole and onto plane. 4 strokes get atleast 25 to 50% better mileage and no oil to mix. (also no smoke though newer 2 strokes smoke very little). you do have to change the oil and filter on 4 strokes. 4 strokes are very low maintainence (just like a new car engine).
It is really personal preference but each meets a need. For my personal needs I figure if I want speed I need more than a 40 to start with :D

When you look at the Mercury's specification sheet it measures power in HP (horse power) and Kw (Kilowatt)

"HP/Kw @ Prop"

40HP = 29 Kw

They are a 60HP powerhead, but only put out 40HP at the impeller (prop) because of the jets inefficiency.

I have a late 80's Johnson 40hp powerhead (28 at jet) on my 1648 and am looking at upgrading to something more efficient and powerful.

kgrant said:
When you look at the Mercury's specification sheet it measures power in HP (horse power) and Kw (Kilowatt)

"HP/Kw @ Prop"

40HP = 29 Kw

They are a 60HP powerhead, but only put out 40HP at the impeller (prop) because of the jets inefficiency.

I have a late 80's Johnson 40hp powerhead (28 at jet) on my 1648 and am looking at upgrading to something more efficient and powerful.
If you want some more power out of your johnson buy a set of 50hp carbs and shave about .030" off of the head and that should be noticible diffrence without breaking the bank. Set of reeds will make it a little more responsive, make sure to lap the reed cages so they seal up good.

Thanks Blue Rude, I'll keep that in mind.

Anybody have any real experience with the Mercury 60/40 4-stroke? How many GPH does it burn?

I'm not real sure on the GPH but I can get about 42 gps miles on 10 gallons of fuel at near wide open throttle with 2 people in
a 1652 Alweld. Just over 4 miles per gallon. My boat runs 30 to 31 gps mph so that would be near 7.5 gph......I think. :?: .

I thought it would have burned less than that, my 1988 Johnson 40/28 2-smoke burns a little less than that at WOT.

I haven't been on this board in a looong time but a recent private message alert from KGrant in my email brought me back for a look see.

my 2 cents...

The newer 40 4-Stroke Merc is definately 40 at the foot...60 powerhead. Mine burns 4.4 gallons/hour at WOT per my Mercury SmartCraft gauges. It runs 30-31mph (gps) on an 1852 modified v...fully decked front/rear, rod locker, 3 livewells, 3 batteries, and a full 12 gallon fuel cell...not to mention the bottom of my boat is beat to hell.

There are several Tohatsu's on the stretch of river I run. They may be a decent motor but I've not yet run across a 50/35 Tohatsu that even come close...regardless of boat. Not to mention good luck getting them worked on.

I do agree on the 2-stroke OMC's. The later model 60/40's and 90/65's will flat run and have good potential for mods for building bigger power. The even older 88 Specials are also great motors and I hear were under estimated on HP. That said, out of the box, the 2005 & older Merc 60/40 strokes were more like 66-67 horse power and would run real good but had less potential for make more power with mods.

As far as buying a new motor...shop around. I won't say names but the installed price of my Merc 60/40, including the SmartCraft gauges, was several hundred less than the next closest selling price minus gauges & installation.

I took another look at the specs becuase I couldn't understand how the 40EFI jet fourstroke can be the exact same specs CC's, bore& stroke, 4 cylinders and all as the 40hp bigfoot motor and still put out 40hp at the jet. I thought they lost power when converted to a jet?

After taking another even closer look I noticed that the 40hp bigfoot had 4 cylinders, and was 995 CC's and the regular 40hp and the 40hp EFI were both 3 cylinder motors with 747 CC's.

Interestingly enough the 60hp EFI also has the exact same specs as the 40hp EFI Bigfoot...bore/stroke, CC's, 4 cylinders and everything.

The only difference is that the 40 EFI bigfoot has a gear ratio of 2.33:1 and the 60 EFI has a ratio of 1.83:1 (that is of no consequence when you pull the lower unit off an put jet drive on)...So they share the same power head just like Toby From Mo said.

The 60 EFI weighs a little less than the 40EFI bigfoot but I imagine the extra weight is in the "Big Foot".

This all means that the fourstroke 40Jet is really a 40EFI bigfoot (which is really a 60 EFI) with a Jet unit on it. NOT a 40hp or a 40EFI with a jet unit.

I was totally wrong in all my other posts. I apologize for the bad info, and for saying anything bad about troutt and sons. The sales guy was right and obviously knows his stuff! I was wrong, and obviously have no idea what im talking about!

NOW.... Why doesn't mercury make thier website easier to understand. Just tell me how much HP the dang thing has! I shouldn't have to do all this research to find it all out, and make a public fool of myself by quoting thier site and posting links to it to try and clear things up.... HP/kw @ prop gimme a break already! It sure looks like they mean 40/30???? Why don't they just say 60/40????

Its just like when they sell a 15hp for 2x what a 9.9hp is. We all know its the same motor with a different carb.

Don't worry about it, I looked kinda dumb talking about them turning a 6 7/8 impeller if they where 60hp. Most 60hp 2 strokes turned the 6 7/8 impellers so I assumed they did to. :oops:
I think the mercs should turn more then 5000rpms if they're making 60hp at the powerhead turning a 6 1/8 impeller. Most stock 40/28 omc's turn atleast 5500rpm if not more.

I have talked to trout and Sons again and the man has kind of made up my mind for me.Its will be a Mercury for my boat.In that hp range Mercury wins hands down for a new motor.If buying used others might be better but I think I will be buying new and I have really been thinking about makeing a road trip to Trout and sons so I can bring home a new 1752 Blazer with the mercury tiller handle jet four stroker onit.They will put a nice perforated floor init and I will allso have a livewell init.I would then install a 70 or 80 pound MinnKota trolling motor onit

I don't have the smart guages, but mine burns way more than 4.4 gph. I wish mine got that good. I only have a 10 gallon tank in my boat.

The mercury website is way confusing. I had the same questions when I was in the market to buy. T & S would tell me
one thing but the mercury site didn't support this info. Turned out T & S was right. I don't know what their service is like
since I live to far away to make servicing my boat there impractical, but their knowledge of the boats and motors seems top notch.

I think you will be happy with your decision on the motor. If not, it is a good excuse to get another new boat in a year or two a :D nyway!

I wish i lived closer to trout company as its a long ways to that place from Michigan.I would to see one of the Blazer boats before I buoght but a road trip two times is out of the question.Blazer boats get good review so it may be worth the chance to buy sight unseen.Other options would be to by a boat here then setup the boat myself with the jet power

this is pure speculation as I do not know for sure but I bet the Blazer would be faster and lighter than the alwelds. I bought the alweld for some custom features I wanted,but the Blazer definately looks more sporty. I think it is a lighter guage aluminum than alwelds (which wouldnt make any difference to me). good luck on your new rig.

JohnnyRazorhead said:
this is pure speculation as I do not know for sure but I bet the Blazer would be faster and lighter than the alwelds. I bought the alweld for some custom features I wanted,but the Blazer definately looks more sporty. I think it is a lighter guage aluminum than alwelds (which wouldnt make any difference to me). good luck on your new rig.
I'd bet money the blazer is faster and lighter then the alwelds. Most balzers are .080" gauge.

Trout said the blazer can be 80 or 100 thickness and he recomends .80 for my kind of rivers.Trout said the price would be about the same as far as Blazer to Alweld.The boat I have now is only 63 thickness and it works out good for me for now and that boat is a 1448 with a 30 horce power rateing.Putting a 35 Tohatsu would be a nice combo with that light of boat and the 40 mercury would be even better so a desision has to be made as far as buying a hole new rig or repowering.If i buy a new motor I can allways buy a new boat and put that motor onit.I am going to do some thinking asto what will be done,all I know is I want a bigger motor and a bigger boat but the 14 footer is nice as its a easy unloader and loader,I have unloaded it right on the grass bank and pushed it into the river when no ramp was in the area.Bad thing about new motors and boats is the money that has to be spent.Sometimes i wish I could just get a 40 0r 50 OMC and put a jet unit onit for a reasonable price but only one has come my way and the man sold it out from under me.

Lot of good info in this thread.
Toby from MO ,what size and make is your boat ? Console located where or stick steer ? Does it plane off pretty quick ?

JohnnyRazorhead, How wide is your boat ? Console located where or stick steer ? Does it plane off pretty quick ?

Thanks in advance !!

I don't know what their service is like since I live to far away to make servicing my boat there impractical, but their knowledge of the boats and motors seems top notch.

I can tell you that I've NEVER had better service. When the bearing in my jet went out early last year, I called them to see if they had the parts in stock. They did, so I left early on a Saturday to go pick it up. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive for me and just to be safe, I took my entire lower unit and foot with me. When I got there, they were very friendly. I bought the part and asked a couple questions when the son, Chris, asked me if I had my lower unit with me. I told him it was in my trunk. He said, "Well then pull around to that door and get it in here". He not only installed the bearing for me for free, but he added a new impeller and adjusted the gate, re-greased and I left with a totally new (rebuilt) lower unit. They only charged me for the parts.
That is why I went back to them when I was shopping for my current boat. Turns out that they didn't have what I was looking for, but had a customer that did have one for sale. They arranged for him to bring the boat in for me to take a look at it. When I got there, they handled everything including all paperwork and title info. The owner showed up to sign his name and for me to give HIM a check. Before I made the deal, I asked Troutt if they could put in another seat base on the floor and give the entire boat a once over. They didn't even flinch. Turned out that the livewell pump was burned up and they installed a brand new one for me without charging me a dime. If I need service again (hopefully not)...I will make the 1 1/2 hour drive back to them. They really did give me the best service that I've ever had. I can't say enough good about my experiences there.

NO, I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THEM OTHER THAN BEING A CUSTOMER.

JohnnyRazorhead, How wide is your boat ? Console located where or stick steer ? Does it plane off pretty quick ?

Thanks in advance !![/quote]

It is a 1652 with a center console . I have a 9 foot front deck and a 4 foot rear deck. both are level with the sides of the boat. It is carpeted, livewell, tm, etc. It is a shallow water fly fishing rig. With a light load it will jump right up on plane.
loaded it takes a little longer. It could stand some more horsepower for the heavier loads. with just me and my equipment it will gps 31 mph. I have ran it many time in an honest 3 to 4 inches of water.

Latest posts