Tohatsu opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atb

Reaction score
Folks did a search and have seen Bassboy mention that Tohatsu 2 strokes are solid but I am looking at a 2002 18hp 4 stroke that seems a good deal bout 1/3 the cost of a new one. Anyone have any good, bad ugly on early 2000 tohatsu 4 strokes?
Thanks in advance.

A guy I know has one, its the 9.8 4-stroke. Believe he's had it for almost a year now and said he hasn't had the first problem with it. They are basically just a nissan motor rebadged from what i've seen about them.

I have a 2000 Nissan 18 hp 2 stroke with electric start. Nissan & Tohatsu are the same except the stickers.
This motor has been run hard for almost 10 years. Some years, it has been on the water either fishing or duck hunting 60 days out of the year. Has not been babied, only had the lower unit oil changed twice, never changed the impeller, plugs once and one carberator cleaning after I got water in the fuel. Have chewed up 4 aluminum props slugging through shallow clam & oyster shell infested muck & sand with no damage to the lower unit seal or shaft. Not one single repair in 10 years.
I simply love this engine. I cant say enough good things about it. I've never heard a bad word about Nissan or Tohatsu outboards.
If the 4 strokes are only half as good, you would still be getting a bargain.

CarlF said:
I have a 2000 Nissan 18 hp 2 stroke with electric start. Nissan & Tohatsu are the same except the stickers.
This motor has been run hard for almost 10 years. Some years, it has been on the water either fishing or duck hunting 60 days out of the year. Has not been babied, only had the lower unit oil changed twice, never changed the impeller, plugs once and one carberator cleaning after I got water in the fuel. Have chewed up 4 aluminum props slugging through shallow clam & oyster shell infested muck & sand with no damage to the lower unit seal or shaft. Not one single repair in 10 years.
I simply love this engine. I cant say enough good things about it. I've never heard a bad word about Nissan or Tohatsu outboards.
If the 4 strokes are only half as good, you would still be getting a bargain.

Great info thanks.