tracker fisherman 16. HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryarsallen

Reaction score
First off, thank you for letting me be a part of this site! Great info all around. I know there are a lot of articles on transoms on here but I've got a unique situation, it seems. I have a tracker fisherman 16. I took her on her maiden voyage today with my 45# Minn kota and loved it. I've seen a get people run 15-25 hp on the back of them even though its rated for 2hp. It was all because of transom work. I'm really looking forward to working on this project. Thanks for any thoughts or input!

This is the boat. I don't have any personal pictures yet. When I get to working on it, pics will come. Here's one from online though.

Attachments

• 129274_102_pic-500x333 (1).jpg
    129274_102_pic-500x333 (1).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 848
And for anyone commenting, please don't hold back (from what I've read, y'all don't lol). I'm a first time boat owner. With that being said, I know there's a do and do not section to boating And I'd like to hear it from people with much more experience than I have. Thanks again

Ok here's 2 cents worth...

Regulations...
First, understand there is an entire classification (USCG, CFR) for power boats under 2hp. These regulations affect capacity, flotation requirements etc. That being said, your boat is/was more than likely designed within the guidelines of that ruling, which would mean that the boat is designed to operate safely with 2 hp maximum.

Mechanics...
The boat has a very nice length to beam ratio, meaning it that it is much longer than wide. This typically means better performance, and requires less horsepower than a boat the same length, with a much wider beam. That being said, one might think that adding more power would be a good modification. Now in theory, this might be correct, however there are other issues.

First, the shape of the bottom, rising up toward the transom, is excellent for a heavy displacement, slow moving boat, such as a tugboat, riverboat, or push boat. However this shape is definitely not good news if you intend to run "on top". So some might argue that all you would have to do is modify the bottom, and keep it flat all the way to the transom, right? I don't agree, and here's why.

The designers, and marine engineers that spec'd out the material thickness & structure of the boat, did so, with the understanding that the boat was 2hp max. So you could safely assume that the general structure of the hull and internal components, might very well be inadequate for the type of stresses & pressures the hull would encounter, running loaded in a chop for example.

So yes, you could modify the bottom, beef up the structure, change the transom, etc. etc. etc. and possibly end up with a structurally sound "experimental" design. Likewise, you could end up with an expensive headache, and even worse, a dangerous boat.

IMHO, the smart safe move: If you really want to go faster, why don't you pick up a cheap, used, narrow beam jon boat, that is rated for more power, and hang the larger motor on it?

OK that's more than 2 cent's worth, and may not be what you want to hear... BUT your safety, and the safety of your passenger, is ultimately the most important thing :) Hopefully you won't shoot the messenger!

Yep, I agree as well. That boat is a great candidate for using just a trolling motor. As said, you could chase the dragon for a long time and lots of money, so just get another cheap hull for the gas setup.

Latest posts