Tracker Topper 14 conversion - Finished!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NLaudy said:
Great job on the build! Doesn't look like you took ANY shortcuts. I really like the idea about using a box for a template... definitely saves you from making a bad cut :p

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them.

What kind of foam is that under the floor you put down?

Out of curiosity, where did you find the Marine Grade wood and how thick is it? Did you put any kind of sealant on it?

Do you have a hinge on the side panel so you could open it? If so, do you have any pics of it?

Last question, what did you find was the easiest for removing the paint?

Sorry for all the questions and I enjoy reading about your build.

Thank you and my goal was not to short cut anything. On to the answers...
1. I got the foam at Lowes and it comes in a pack of 6 sheets, had to cut some off the ends but a perfect fit width wise. I think they are meant for in the attic near the roof.
2. I did a internet search and found the local exotic wood dealer (really cool stuff btw, wood from all over the world) that happened to carry it. https://www.exoticlumberinc.com/plywood.php
3. It will have a stainless piano hinge that will be attached to the aluminum square tube and the upper lid. (I'll be sure to post pics on final assembly)
4. Well I tried and used several methods. Aircraft stripper, terrible idea... It was messy and probably took 6 months off my life (brain damage). I also ruined a drill with a wire wheel attached, works well around rivets and in the hard to get spots. The best was the orbital sander with 80 grit sand paper.

Thanks for the questions and the interest.

Just finished the 2nd coat on the bottom. Now that is RED! 24 more hours to wait until I start on the black. I'm thinking the black may only take one coat. So you should look forward to taping and painting some black tomorrow. So exciting! Just wish this process could be sped up so I can put the boat upright again. Oh yeah almost forgot.... My list of things to do just got longer. Since my boat over hangs the back of the trailer by about 4 feet, I plan to replace the tongue of the trailer with one about 4 feet longer so I can move the boat forward to fit better. I also just picked up a Mac's River Prop Protector. Anyway check back tomorrow for the exciting introduction of black paint (sorry I know this part isn't so exciting but soon the boat will be upright again).

Attachments

• 2nd Coat Bottom 1.jpg
    2nd Coat Bottom 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 2nd Coat Bottom 2.jpg
    2nd Coat Bottom 2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,444
Black is done. Well at least until I flip it tomorrow night and start to do the upper edge and some interior parts.

Attachments

• Black Coat 1.jpg
    Black Coat 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Black Coat 2.jpg
    Black Coat 2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Black Coat 3.jpg
    Black Coat 3.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,418
Look at what I found on Ebay. Mac's River Runner Prop Saver sells new for $129.00, I picked this one up with shipping for $58.00. I do a lot of fishing for smallies on the upper Potomac River here in Maryland and the water can get skinny. I've been told it's in the mail.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-13 at 12.01.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-02-13 at 12.01.49 PM.png
    247 KB · Views: 1,403
Seat Installation. First you mark out where you would like to place the seat base. Drill out a 1" hole for the seat base post. Drill out six 1/2" holes for the anchors. The nice thing about these anchors is that I should be able to remove the bases if ever necessary and the anchors should remain. I then used stainless bolts to secure the base to the boat. The bases are solid and feel like they are welded to the boat.

Seat Install 1.jpg
Seat Install 2.jpg
Seat Install 3.jpg
Seat Install 4.jpg
Seat Install 5.jpg
Seat Install 6.jpg
Seat Install 7.jpg

Finished!!! I'll be adding a Lowrance Elite 4x dsi to the front next week and a 4' tongue extender in the coming weeks, but she's fishable right now. I just need the weather to cooperate a little (flurries today). Hope you all like it, I know I sure will.

Final costs.

1436 Tracker Topper Bartered Craigslist
Trailer Free Craigslist
8HP Tohatsu Outboard $400 Craigslist
45lb thrust Minn Kota Edge $360 Bass Pro
2 Sheets Marine Plywood $160 Local Supplier
Outdoor Carpet $45 Lowes
Outdoor Carpet Adhesive $15 Lowes
Staples $10 Walmart
Paint and Primer $50 Walmart
2 Seats $70 Walmart
2 Pedestal Deck Plates $40 Walmart
2 Seat Bases $36 Bass Pro
Seat Pedestal Post $22 Bass Pro
Stainless piano hinges $70 Lowes
Bow Light $25 Bass Pro
Anchor Light and socket $50 Bass Pro
Cabin lights $20 Bass Pro
Bilge Pump $25 Walmart
Boss Stereo $80 Bass Pro
Minn Kota 60 Circuit breaker $38 Ebay
Mac's River Guard $58 Ebay
4 Circuit Panel $40 West Marine
Marine grade wiring and connectors $150 West Marine
Garmin 300c Fish Finder $180 Bass Pro
Stainless Steel Hardware $60 Lowes
Rod Hold Down $10 Bass Pro
Teks self tapping screws (attaches wood to metal) $10 Lowes
Heavy Duty Toggle bolts $20 Lowes
Boat registration $27 Maryland DNR
Registration Stickers $21 West Marine
Coming this week...
Lowrance Elite 4x DSI $199 Bass Pro
Lowrance Elite 4x $169 Bass Pro
2 Ram Mounts $70 Bass Pro
4' Tongue Extension $150 Ebay
Probably 40 hours of my time.

All told about $2500, DON'T TELL MY WIFE.

Attachments

• Finished 1.jpg
    Finished 1.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 1,534
  • Finished 6.jpg
    Finished 6.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 1,534
bhumbertson said:
Finished!!! I'll be adding a Lowrance Elite 4x dsi to the front next week and a 4' tongue extender in the coming weeks, but she's fishable right now. I just need the weather to cooperate a little (flurries today). Hope you all like it, I know I sure will.

Looks really good =D>. Show pictures of your tongue extension project... I should do it too :roll:

Wow awesome job on the build. You have given me many ideas on what to do with my Tracker 1436. I fish the 3 Maryland reservoirs (Loch Raven, Pretty Boy, and Liberty). I plan on putting a full deck on my whole boat.

I was just curious how stable you think your deck will be when fishing?
Also, How much in building materials (decking, screws, carpeting etc.) do you think you spent in the end?

Happy Fishing!

hoghunter17 said:
Wow awesome job on the build. You have given me many ideas on what to do with my Tracker 1436. I fish the 3 Maryland reservoirs (Loch Raven, Pretty Boy, and Liberty). I plan on putting a full deck on my whole boat.

I was just curious how stable you think your deck will be when fishing?
Also, How much in building materials (decking, screws, carpeting etc.) do you think you spent in the end?

Happy Fishing!

Thank you. Not sure on stability, I'll let you know. I've added costs above.

Man I gotta hand it to you, you did a awesome job on that boat! =D>
I really like how it came together , especially how you got the jams on the side console.
You ought to be puttin the hurt on some fish in no time 8)

I've added a couple things this evening. First is the Lowrance Elite 4x DSI on a Ram Mount and Second is a Worth Anchor Winch. Next I will be focusing on the trailer to extend the tongue and move the boat forward four feet.

Attachments

• Worth Anchor Winch.jpg
    Worth Anchor Winch.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1,450
  • Lowrance.jpg
    Lowrance.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,450