trailer frame

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStewart

Reaction score
I'm fixing to rebuild my trailer. My trailer & a lot of other trailers are built with thin gauge c channel steel. I've tried looking for this type of steel on the net & can't find it. The only c channel I can find is much thicker. Anyone know where to find it or should I just go with 2x3 rectangle tubing?

Do you have any metal supply houses where you live?
Can you post some pictures of the area of the trailer your fixing?

Yeah I've got a huge steel supply company local, but the one rep I talked to said they don't have what I'm liking for. I'm rebuilding the entire trailer. I'm only using axle & tongue from existing trailer.

I see. Then I would use what's available locally as long as it's stronger than the old steel.

Looks like I'm going with 2x3 14 gauge rectangle tubing. I think that will be stout enough. I'm getting 2 24 ft sticks for $70.

That's sounds like a good price. 14 gauge is that about 1/8"?
I'm guessing since your "repairing" the old trailer you can just use the old vin and title.

Well, except in Oklahoma our boat trailers don't have to have a title & vin.

I went & picked up my material to build my trailer this morning. Not going to have much time the rest of this month to work on it, but I will start a trailer build thread when I get started. This will be a fun little project.

Me too Hanr3. I've wanted to do it since I got the boat.I have almost everything I need except time. Lol. March has been busy. Hopefully I can start it next week.