trailer repair or replace?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 16' trailer for my aluminum boat. The side rails where the light wiring goes thru have broken in half. The trailer hasn't been moved for quite some time. My question is; Would it be a better idea to weld the trailer I have or to look for another one. I am on a bit of a tight budget but also don't want to get in to something that is going to take forever to fix. Thanks in advance.

If the rust has only compromised the frame in the one spot where it's broken, you could probably sleeve it (for rect or sq tubing) or, fish-plate it (for channel or angle frame)

In either case, use a piece of material that extends several inches on either side of the compromised area, so you can tie it in to something strong.

Thanks PSG-1. I did not even think of that. I am pretty sure that will be the way I go.

Not a problem, I deal with this type of thing all the time. As you can imagine, here around saltwater, nothing lasts forever, especially trailers.