Trailer Runners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowe

Reaction score
Should of put this in the other post, but it is separate from the boat mod I guess. The guy I bought my boat from has the runners on the trailer all out of wack. One of the board is flat, while the other one is angle outwards. For example, say you were standing at the back of your trailer looking towards the front as a sense of the way the board is running. The board on the right is flat, while the one of the left is angled towards the trailer tire. With that I mean the is slopes from right to left towards to outside of the trailer.

I don't know if my boat would considered a V Bottom or Flat Bottom or a little bit of both. It starts off like a V and then flattens where the floor starts.

My question is how should I put the loading runners on my trailer? Flat, or at an inward angle? Also how wide apart should the runners be, or where should they strike the boat bottom at? Right now, when I load my boat, it gets too far over to the right and sits somewhat crooked on the trailer. I was just looking at it, and the passenger side of the boat is against the trailer fender, while the driver's side of the boat is not even close. I think it loads crooked because of the the way the runners are installed on the trailer.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The runners or bunks should run from the transom, up to the front, just before the bow turns up.The runners/bunks should point straight parallel with the sides of the trailer.If you have a mod V or deep V then the runners/bunks should run parallel to the sides of the trailer, but be angled in enough to lie flat against the hull.I hope this makes sense.

I am getting ready to go out and snap some pictures of it along with a transom question. I will have that done very soon. Thanks

Went out to the garage and snapped the below pic. The bunks should be basically parallel (or running in the same direction) to each other, whereas the boat will set centered on them:

Bottom of my Lowe centered on bunks:
normal_IMGP0195.JPG

Ok here is what I've got. Pictures are somewhat crappy. Hope you can tell what they look like.

These first three pictures are from front to back of boat. The first picture shows the main front of one of the bunks not even bolted. I just noticed this today. Show how much I pay attention to stuff. LOL
runners1.jpg

runners2.jpg

runners3.jpg

This is the left side of the boat on the console side:
runners4.jpg

This is the passenger side:
runners5.jpg

This is a picture from the back of the boat to the front:
runners6.jpg

Looks like the brackets where they attach to the trailer frame are adjustable (moveable). Move the left bunk to the left where the boat will sit down between both bunks. That will more than likely solve the problem, just looking at the pics. Are you going to carpet the boards?

Your boat has to be centered on the trailer.
The bunks shouldn't be on the ribs of your boat.Thats maybe why your one bunk turned.
Fix the bunks(towards the bow)before they stab into your hull.
Picture the bottom of your boat and match that as the angle for your bunks.
Probably should carpet them bunks and maybe bring them back alittle further towards the stern so all the boat is resting on the bunks.
Never noticed in your photos,if you had guide on or not(don't think you do)but they help alot of centering and loading your boat.

Yeah, I have the carpet for the bunks. Just have to get the boat in water so I can work on the trailer. I am hoping to take it this weekend and unload it and work on the trailer. I don't have no other way of unloading the boat from the trailer except to float the boat and do the repairs in the parking lot at the dock.

Please explain the stern to me. I'm green when it comes to boat terminology when identify the different parts of it.

What about this? The boat has five ribs on the underbelly, or at least I call the raised fins, ribs on the bottom. Could I move each bunk to the outside of the number 1 and number 5 rib and be alright?. And do the bunks need to be flat, or have a angle on them towards the inside? Thanks.

lowe said:
Yeah, I have the carpet for the bunks. Just have to get the boat in water so I can work on the trailer. I am hoping to take it this weekend and unload it and work on the trailer. I don't have no other way of unloading the boat from the trailer except to float the boat and do the repairs in the parking lot at the dock.

Please explain the stern to me. I'm green when it comes to boat terminology when identify the different parts of it.

What about this? The boat has five ribs on the underbelly, or at least I call the raised fins, ribs on the bottom. Could I move each bunk to the outside of the number 1 and number 5 rib and be alright?. And do the bunks need to be flat, or have a angle on them towards the inside? Thanks.

As for the guide on you are talking about. The trailer lights stick up on each side of the trailer with rubber pieces on the inside of the light bar. Is that what you are referring to as guide on? If so, they need to be adjusted also, because right now, one of them is sitting against the boat and the other one is a little distance away because of the boats position being crooked on the trailer.

If you have a jack and a way of blocking your boat up after you get it up in the air you can do it on land.Or if your lucky like someone on this forum, use a forklift.

The stern is the back of the boat.

If it wasn't so dark and raining I'd take a picture for you.
Heres an old one before I moved my bunks back.NOTE :THIS IS AN OLD PICTURE,the bunks ARE moved back to support the stern.That was for other people so they don't tell me to fix my bunks.sydney and project 275.jpg
Pretty sure mine are between the first and sec...and forth and fifth ribs.They sit flat to the boat.
Good,you have guide ons,I have about an inch(prob. less)between the boat and the guide ons.

Ok. Can I measure the the boat and adjust the guides to an inch wider that that measurement of the boat and be in pretty good shape.

I will have to see if my father still has the jack stands in his garage. I never thought of that. Thanks

I agree with everyone and Zum you need to fix your bunks.Seriously.The bunk boards should support the transom.The weight of the motor will cause the transom to sag and the hull will develop a hook.This can be dangerous.A hull with a hook will cause the bow to dive.Small aluminum boats are at high risk for this.

Here is the definition of hull hook.

This is one of two conditions in the bottom of a planing boat that can lead to performance problems. When the boat is right side-up, the bottom curves up from the transom; is "dished" forward of the transom. This "hook" will drive the bow down, reducing performance. Can also lead to the bow "bobbing" up and down. The aft section of the hull, seen in profile, should be straight.

I got this from https://www.glen-l.com/ .You have to do a search for"Glossary of boat building".Then look for hook.

PLEASE...read my post don't just look at the picture.

See what you did WW ...................................just kidding.

So I need to move the bunks back even with the transom, correct. I am going to have to take it to the lake to fix the trailer. I will measure underneath the boat and adjust the bunks to sit between the 1 & 2 rib and 4 & 5 rib and also adjust the guides.

Does my boat looked hooked ben2go, or were you posting that for general information for everyone? Thanks

lowe said:
So I need to move the bunks back even with the transom, correct. I am going to have to take it to the lake to fix the trailer. I will measure underneath the boat and adjust the bunks to sit between the 1 & 2 rib and 4 & 5 rib and also adjust the guides.

Does my boat looked hooked ben2go, or were you posting that for general information for everyone? Thanks

It doesn't appear to be hooked from the pics.If you have a yard stick,3' or longer level,or a large carpenter's T square,you can check it.Just place one end at the transom and let the other end point forward evenly between the ribs.There shouldn't be any space between the straight edge and the hull.Up to and 1/8th of an inch should be ok.As far your bunks/runners,they do need to be even with the transom.My post was partly directed a Zum and partly for informational purposes, in case you were unaware.A hook can be easily avoided and can also be an easy fix.Plus a hook in a hull ban be dangerous.I am a safety person to the max.I have been a safety person at a previous job.Not a, you're fired safety officer.A person that seeks out possible safety issues with equipment and operations.Then proceeds with an action to prevent future accidents and injuries.