Trailer that came with my 1448 Jon seems a little off

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Ben I got the bow stop done - had to adjust it a bit to make it fit with the steel brushguard/bar thing that is mounted up front on my boat from its catfish farm days.

In that link you posted to the other thread there is a pick of what I think is a small forward bunk for supporting more towards the front of the trailer. I never saw a good picture of where it was located on the trailer though. I am having problems finding a way to mount a small bunk or pair of small bunks up on the forward part of the tongue. There are a couple of of holes I could mount a single bunk to run crossways under the front the boat, but I wasnt sure if that would work? Wouldn't the bunks have to run parallel with the splines on the bottom of the boat? I

I am open to suggestions on how to remedy the forward boat support issue - I just need to get something there to provide some support for the front of the boat. I dont think the boat is going to ride very well on the single roller under the center spline.

Where the side rails and the tongue come together on my trailer I have a 24" wide carpeted board going across.

You havent had any problems with that board affecting your loading of the boat? I figured anything running across the splines of the boat vs with them would cause issues.

Well I just realized another issue with the trailer - with the bunks/boat hanging off the back 24" or so the transom saver is rendered useless. It doesnt have the reach and it cant get the proper angle to support the outboard.

I am going to try to find a local source for the Swing-Away kit that comes with the extension. If I cant find it I am going to see if the marine welder who is beefing up my transom next week can weld a 36" extension on the tongue for me so that I can move the bunks and boat back up over the trailer frame. This will remedy the overhang I was already worrying about and make the transom saver useable again.

As a side note, the marine welder I found thru a friend came highly recommended. Hes an older man in his early 60s who is rumored to be the best welder for stainless steel and aluminum in the area. He is going to cut out the mess of bracing that was added to the existing transom, replace the wood with a solid 2x12, and then replace much of the transom aluminum. He is going to add some extra bracing as well. He said he likes to overbuild them and said that when he is done I could hang a 100hp motor on the back without a second thought - literally. He is going to be doing the welding on the aluminum for my back deck later on this fall as well.

I will definitely get pictures up as soon as he finishes.

Latest posts