Tranducer mount ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like there are two schools of thought here; to drill or not to drill holes in the transom.

I just got a new (to me) boat and am trying to decide what to do as well for the mount. On my last boat I marine tex'd a piece of cedar on the transom, seven years later its still on strong.

For the new boat, after reading everything I could I am thinking of using 3/4" HDPE cutting board, threading numerous cavities in the back to create a mechanical means for the 5200 to bond the cutting board material to the transom. I may also try the flame treatment of the HDPE that I've read about. I'll scuff the boat up some too to improve the bond, but I can't bring myself to drill holes!

Have others had success with this route, am I over thinking it?

I was going through my wood pile this weekend and found some HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
which is the white PVC plastic boards used for house trim work.
This will hold stainless steel screws very well. Will mount to the transom with some adhesive of your choice,
and is paintable to blend in with your boat color. Easy to sand or file off any sharp edges.
Many options are available if you just stop and think outside the box for a moment.

Attachments

• PVC board.jpg
    PVC board.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 376
I thought the PVC trim boards were extruded PVC not hdpe. Not sure though.

I had the same thought and couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't work. Had some free time one day so I stopped by a plastics place in town. The guy gave me a sample of the 1/2" cutting board about 6" x12". I abandoned the pvc trim idea after that.

I did consider building some accessories or of the PVC board. You would think it would have to be UV resistant and easy to work with.

I just bought a stern saver to remount my LSS structure ducer on. The new one was bad and I just received another one! I. Ousted my skimmer in a transducer saver spring back mount. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the stern saver install and see how well it holds with no mechanical fasteners.