Transducer problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txredfish

Reaction score
I own a 2006 18' Alumacraft john boat with a 70HP Yamaha. It has the rear pontoons and tunnel hull.
I fish saltwater along the Texas coast. I have a cavitation problem with my depth finder transducer.
I get a good reading when sitting still. As soon as I begin to move (idle speed), the transducer readings are not correct. The transducer is currently mounted on the starboard side, rear transom, between motor and pontoons. There is only about about 12" between motor and pontoons. So my transducer is mounted in the middle between bottom rakes about 6" from pontoons and motor.
Therefore I think that I have a cavitation problem. Any ideas? ............

hi txred fish, have you messed with the refresh rate it might help. and if you can play with the location of it as well.

No, the boat is not a pontoon. It is a 18' Alumacraft jonboat with sponsons or pontoons welded on the back of the boat at the waterline. The sponsons create a lot of turbulance which I think is interfering with my transducer. Has anyone else had this problem and if you corrected it?

txredfish said:
No, the boat is not a pontoon. It is a 18' Alumacraft jonboat with sponsons or pontoons welded on the back of the boat at the waterline. The sponsons create a lot of turbulance which I think is interfering with my transducer. Has anyone else had this problem and if you corrected it?
6" is too close to the motor which is electrically very noisy. Try to locate it at some other location.
You can check this by revving the motor in neutral and watching the screen.

The sponsons will generate turbulence. Again, try to locate it at some other location.

Is the D.F. on it's own battery? Try to connect it to a separate battery (not the start battery).

If all fails, there are some very good forums on line and you can be sure someone has had that problem.
Hope this helps....Jerry :)

Transducer needs to be at least 12" away from the motor to have clean water to run in. Mount it to your starboard pod and you will be good to go.

Latest posts