Transom repair with UHMW

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee1

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the boards on my transom and was wondering if anyone has used Star Board or Blue Core type material. I know it's darn spendy but it would save me several days of putting spar on plywood. Just wondering how the stuff holds up on a transom. Thanks.

I've never seen it used. Its not like plywood. Plus there is no way to bond two layers together. How big is your transom? Since I work with fiberglass, I'd glass some plywood together and on the outside. Or you could pour a solid glass transom.

HDPE is the proper product name I guess.
My transom is aprox 60"x24". I'm not near my boat right now so I'm not 100% sure of the size. I only get two weeks R&R and don't want to spend the whole time working on the boat.

i used a bunch of thicknesses of starboard for different stuff when i redid my boat. it is totally unsuitable for the task of transom repair because it is not nearly strong enough. it's floppy like a cutting board, nowhere near as stiff as plywood or a purpose built product like sea-cast.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348473#p348473 said:
acabtp » 13 Apr 2014, 02:02[/url]"]i used a bunch of thicknesses of starboard for different stuff when i redid my boat. it is totally unsuitable for the task of transom repair because it is not nearly strong enough. it's floppy like a cutting board, nowhere near as stiff as plywood or a purpose built product like sea-cast.
I was thinking the same thing. The stuff seems to lack the structural integrity needed for a transom.

Thanks guys. I had heard the stuff was darn near bullet proof but had never seen it on a transom.

Latest posts