Transom repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4fish

Reaction score
I’m looking for suggestions as to how to remove the plug holder at the top of the transom the run through the wood and back of the top cap

Attachments

• 2D7E064E-316F-472D-8CA9-7C9297EBEB77.jpeg
    2D7E064E-316F-472D-8CA9-7C9297EBEB77.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 607
I also am looking to remove on that is on my transom as to replacement the transom it goes through it. I think they make a special too to put a new one in. Hope to hear from someone about it on here

WhopperPlopper said:
I also am looking to remove on that is on my transom as to replacement the transom it goes through it. I think they make a special too to put a new one in. Hope to hear from someone about it on here
You can use a hammer and screw driver to push the edges in to the middle then pull it out. You can make your own tool to install the new ones out of a large bolt and nylok nuts. You can get 2 piece plastic drains that work well.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
WhopperPlopper said:
You can use a hammer and screw driver to push the edges in to the middle then pull it out. You can make your own tool to install the new ones out of a large bolt and nylok nuts. You can get 2 piece plastic drains that work well.

This. Crush it, remove, go on Ebay and but a plastic replacement. They work like a zip tie. Seal it up good with 5200.

Giggles,

Yep I found two of the "ziptie" type splash well on ebay for $8 for both, will be a very easy reinstall after replacing transom, thanks for that!

... and that would be a splashwell drain, even if the PO may have removed the splashwell ...

FWIW, if ever needed, here are photos and info to install another aluminum tube-type splashwell drain: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37364&p=389254 . A plug drain shown from Moeller, only $6, but the concept is the same less the plug drain has the thick collar.

Aluminum Drain Plug.jpg

Drain Install, OEM.JPG

Drain Install, DYI.JPG

Thank you for the responses this is my first job boat project it’s a 85 sea nymph bass attacker. I didn’t know the correct terminology so thanks for the correction I always stick my plug in them when not in the water, that’s why I referred to it as a plug holder I used the screw driver method, and it work like a charm thanks guys. Stay tune because I’m sure there’s going to be more rookie questions to come.

Attachments

• A23DA732-6C92-4E37-9461-9DD3DDBC552B.jpeg
    A23DA732-6C92-4E37-9461-9DD3DDBC552B.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 529
  • 66B0BF86-0638-4EA9-9CF9-AE7919222E49.jpeg
    66B0BF86-0638-4EA9-9CF9-AE7919222E49.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 529
Just4fish said:
Thank you for the responses this is my first job boat project .... Stay tune because I’m sure there’s going to be more rookie questions to come.
Hey, that's what we're here for, so ask away :D . I'm in the midst of a transom repair myself, so maybe you'll pick up a trick or 2 there.
See: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47405

The splash well adds a lot of strength to the transom, with it missing the HP rating is not going to be what it was. In your rebuild you should add some structure to the transom or rebuild the splash well.

Latest posts