Transom Trolling Motor, what side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdholmes

Reaction score
Trying to decide if i should have the trolling motor on the left or right of the main motor...having no experience with it i thought i should ask you folk.

If using a tiller setup and seated to one side I'd mount it where it's comfortable to use. On a remote setup the only fair way would be a coin flip.

Tails.

It is indeed a tiller model.

I know that there is no benefit in performance, of course. My question is in rgards to comfort...

If it is on the port side i will have to reach over the main motor tiller to steer it, but if it is on the starboard side i am wondering if reaching back with my right arm is going to be uncomfortale...

Really, the only way to find out is to put that sucker on and see how it feels. Once you have it on there, see how easy it is to stow and deploy. Easy of use will be the determining factor. IMO

i have my transducer on the right, troller on the left. i flip the tiller handle up if its in the way of the t/m. now that i have the pro controll,i never touch the t/m anyway.

Thanks for the feedback!

I climed into the boat today and played around with it a little.

I figured out that if i put it on the left side of the motor and push the tiller of the main motor to that side it would either hit the trolling motor or annoy me by having to lift the tiller up and over.

Putting it on the right side felt better for me, I think.

I am not going to permanently glue the blocks to the boat, so if i want to change it later I can always do that.

Thanks as always to those that gave input.