Trolling motor rudder did good yesterday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senkosam

Reaction score
I saw this TM rudder attachment on Amazon and figured it might help in wind to hold course. It did well in a 15 mph constant wind and I didn't have to do much with the TM handle. It also did well in reverse.

Capture.JPG

Too bad it won't work for my Terrova, but I have autopilot, so it holds course anyway.

Nice find!

The Leelock bottom mount rudder seems a bit oversized to me but, it probably isn’t when you consider the application. It is designed for use in rivers and ocean currents.

Some guys are using these to fish rivers with strong currents like the Columbia. They use the kicker (gas trolling motor) in a fixed position to provide some thrust and then use the electric bow mount for steering and whatever additional thrust is needed to obtain trolling speed. It frees you from being stuck on the tiller all the time.

I intend to try this technique on my new used boat.

I run one of those rudders on my 14' tin pond boat with transom mounted minkota 30. It does help considerably with both tracking and steering . I feel it also saves me some battery juice as I'm wasting less thrust /tiller movement correcting. I plan to try something similar on my HD 14' Gruman fisherman which wears a 50# thrust. Unfortunatly, the shaft on that one is too fat for this factory option.

Anyone is using one on a 16' boat with a 55# thrust? It appears they are recommended for smaller boats. It seems like it would be helpful on larger boats, but I wonder if there is a reason you don't see them on larger boats for reasons other than mounting problems.

Anyone is using one on a 16' boat with a 55# thrust? It appears they are recommended for smaller boats. It seems like it would be helpful on larger boats, but I wonder if there is a reason you don't see them on larger boats for reasons other than mounting prob
I’m using it on a 65 lb thrust and it works great!

Amazon has them on sale today for $16 with free returns. There isn't too much risk there. Just ordered one for my other tin boat setup.

Amazon has them on sale today for $16 with free returns. There isn't too much risk there. Just ordered one for my other tin boat setup.
Agreed. I ordered one. For that price it's worth a try. There aren't many things you can buy for a boat that costs $15 to $20.