Trouble with hull ID

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO8413

Reaction score
Good evening,
I bought a 13' Duranautic Coastie back in February. Now that I am ready to register it, I am having an issue with the hull ID number. The boat year, according to the ID plate, is 1975. I understand, however, after 1972, all boats manufactured had to have a 12 digit hull ID. This one has 11 or has been tampered with but in looking at it closely, the number may have just been scratched off (see attached).

Right now, I have DNC 27657 M75 (that's 11) - does anyone know anything about these particular boats and where, if any, the 12th digit would be? I read online it would be AFTER the M but also could be after the 75 (year). Thoughts? I cannot register the boat in NH or MA unless I get the hull ID or assigned a new one which is a major PIA.

Appreciate any thoughts - and yes, I've reached out to Marathon (Duranautic) and they didn't have any records.

Thanks tinboat fam!

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1
If I let my imagination run wild, I might see a "1" as the last digit (right after the 5). But if you don't see it, probably not.

If the boat was registered before, it seems there would be a record of the HIN. If not, does your state have a process for assigning a new HIN?

Last edited:
I had a trailer ID plate that was very hard to read. I used a magnifying glass and a very bright light held at different angles to see all the digits.

Sometimes the last digit after the year indicates a change in production specs.

Your 12th digit would be a letter. [possibly an I? (April)]

From 1972 to 1984, two formats were used:
Straight Year Format - model year is the last two digits, month is a letter in position 9 (A-L)
Model Year Format - The letter M appears in position 9. This drops the model year to positions 10 & 11 and adds the month code letter in position 12.

Fwiw, I doubt it's an I, though you might be able to pass it off that way for paperwork's sake.

You're not alone in folks that have only an 11 digit M-code HIN from the first few years of the HIN program.
Many examples of the same scenario have been documented in many boat forums and facebook pages.
Personally, I've noticed that it's definitely not limited to certain manufacturers though it does appear to be limited to the first few years of the HIN program.
I've yet to find a satisfactory answer as to why. In most cases, it doesn't even look to have been room on the plate for the 12th digit?

Sorry I don't have an answer, but perhaps this can add some clarity.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
Good evening,
I bought a 13' Duranautic Coastie back in February. Now that I am ready to register it, I am having an issue with the hull ID number. The boat year, according to the ID plate, is 1975. I understand, however, after 1972, all boats manufactured had to have a 12 digit hull ID. This one has 11 or has been tampered with but in looking at it closely, the number may have just been scratched off (see attached).

Right now, I have DNC 27657 M75 (that's 11) - does anyone know anything about these particular boats and where, if any, the 12th digit would be? I read online it would be AFTER the M but also could be after the 75 (year). Thoughts? I cannot register the boat in NH or MA unless I get the hull ID or assigned a new one which is a major PIA.

Appreciate any thoughts - and yes, I've reached out to Marathon (Duranautic) and they didn't have any records.

Thanks tinboat fam!
That’s an A line up is on an angle and there’s a mid line. From my years as a proof reader.

Just take your best guess and see if it flies? Worst they can do is tell you to apply for a proper HIN. It's a bit of a pain, but do-able. I'm sending off an app for a HIN today. In Indiana it usually takes 2 weeks to get the HIN, then have to stamp it out, apply it to the boat, get a police inspection, then back to the BMV. Then in about 10 days you get a title for the boat.

Just take your best guess and see if it flies? Worst they can do is tell you to apply for a proper HIN. It's a bit of a pain, but do-able. I'm sending off an app for a HIN today. In Indiana it usually takes 2 weeks to get the HIN, then have to stamp it out, apply it to the boat, get a police inspection, then back to the BMV. Then in about 10 days you get a title for the boat.

Your 12th digit would be a letter. [possibly an I? (April)]

From 1972 to 1984, two formats were used:
Straight Year Format - model year is the last two digits, month is a letter in position 9 (A-L)
Model Year Format - The letter M appears in position 9. This drops the model year to positions 10 & 11 and adds the month code letter in position 12.

Fwiw, I doubt it's an I, though you might be able to pass it off that way for paperwork's sake.

You're not alone in folks that have only an 11 digit M-code HIN from the first few years of the HIN program.
Many examples of the same scenario have been documented in many boat forums and facebook pages.
Personally, I've noticed that it's definitely not limited to certain manufacturers though it does appear to be limited to the first few years of the HIN program.
I've yet to find a satisfactory answer as to why. In most cases, it doesn't even look to have been room on the plate for the 12th digit?

Sorry I don't have an answer, but perhaps this can add some clarity.
Thanks all for your help…I used the letter “I” as the last digit and the registry accepted it. Perhaps I got lucky but it seems like I do have an M-code HIN. Thanks again.

Good evening,

Thanks tinboat fam!
That looks like a 4 to me, based on spacing and character size.

Latest posts