Upgrading Shimano Reels?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Any of you guys happen to know anything about Shimano Baitcasters? I've got a Citica 200D, and thinking about maybe upgrading the bearings on it....was just wondering if Curado D bearings were the same, or not? I know i've read of people doing this to the older "B" model Citica's, swapping them with Curado "B" bearings, but not sure about the newer "D" models. Anyone happen to know anything about them?

I'm not sure about upgrading them.. I've had the citica 200d now for about 2 years and it's my only Shimano reel. That reel I have spool with 15# PLine and it will outcast all of my other EXPENSIVE reels by about 10 yards... I just can't get used to that braking system on shimano's.

You might be able to email the guys at tackletour.com to see if they have tried this - you might also search their forum for the answer

Bubba before upgrading, try cleaning them. Remove them, put them in some lighter fluid for a few minutes, take them out and then dry them, then add 1-2 drops of hot sauce or any high performance oil and put them back in. I can guarantee a world of difference. I replace the bearings on 2 of my scorpions (Japanese Curados) and I noticed a difference in one but not the other.

Try this before spending the $10-$20 for new bearings. I would :D

Jim said:
Bubba before upgrading, try cleaning them. Remove them, put them in some lighter fluid for a few minutes, take them out and then dry them, then add 1-2 drops of hot sauce or any high performance oil and put them back in. I can guarantee a world of difference. I replace the bearings on 2 of my scorpions (Japanese Curados) and I noticed a difference in one but not the other.

Well, From what i've gathered....I do know a problem with the Citica is that it has bushings as opposed to typical bearings. I'm hoping to find out that I can replace that bushing with Curado bearings, or just ceramic bearings of some sort. Plus i've already tried re-oiling it and all, but didn't seem to do much. :|

Bubba said:
Jim said:

Well, From what i've gathered....I do know a problem with the Citica is that it has bushings as opposed to typical bearings. I'm hoping to find out that I can replace that bushing with Curado bearings, or just ceramic bearings of some sort. Plus i've already tried re-oiling it and all, but didn't seem to do much. :|

I have some bearings that i took out of my Scorpions. If I can find them I will send them to you to have if they fit.

Jim said:
Bubba said:
Jim said:

I have some bearings that i took out of my Scorpions. If I can find them I will send them to you to have if they fit.

Is a scorpion like a curado D? Just upgraded?

Cool, They might work then I suppose. Trying to find a schematic on my reel and do a little research, the only thing i've been able to find so far is a how-to on the older "B" model reels. #-o

Jim said:
If yours is the newer 200D model, it might be all bearings anyway. Is this your reel?

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200d.html

Yeah, Thats it. Your probably right, I just don't really know much about them...lol. I found a site that sells ceramic bearings, which according to the schematic of my reel(and the PT# of my 'stock' bearings) will work. So if nothing else I am pretty sure those should work. Then I just gotta figure out how to install the dang things....lol. :lol:

Latest posts