v-hull vs Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
Been kind of looking for a 12-14' v-hull. Seems everyone I look at is at the top of price range and pretty beat. Stopped at BPS today and looked at a 1542-----Think I am hooked. I have a trailer, Will remodel to fit boat I buy. Have a 20 hp Johnson and a 48 lb trolling motor. Just talking out loud.
Thanks for listening.
Jack

Sounds like a recipe for a good boat :mrgreen: What's your plans for it?

Sounds like you got almost everything except the boat. A v hull is good for larger waters as it will cut through the waves better. A flat bottom is good for shallow areas and calm waters. Generally there aren't to many problems that cant be seen by just looking an aluminum boat over. I've found that the best deals usually come form out of the way sources such as newspaper ads, local buying/selling radio programs ( how I found my boat ), not to say that you can't find good deals on Craigslist but most of the time at least for me I get beat to the punch. Normally you can find a nice used boat for a lot less than retail but it never hurts to try and negotiate with management over the price of a new boat. Other ideas are to drive around older communities around large lakes, you'd be surprised how many good used boats are just sitting in someone's yard/pasture just waiting for someone to save them from the scrapheap, it never hurts to ask or leave a note.

All things being equal...I am of the opinion that the v-hull will be faster and give a smoother ride