vertical shaft won't reseat in lower end

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper6322

Reaction score
1953 evinrude lightwin 3 hp, i took the lower unit off to have a look at the impeller, and clean it all up, lots of what looks like carbon buildup in there, but anyway now i can't get the shaft back into the gears, wondering if anything down there could have moved or shifted, i didn't wanna force it and break something so any ideas on what went wrong?

i'm sure bassboy1 can help you get it squared away...you might shoot him a pm or add "help bassboy" to your title

figured it out, the drive shaft fits inside of a bigger sprocket, or gear, that had fallen back behind, so i had to jimmie it back into place and put it all back together, now i'm curious which way the impeller should go... is the inside of the C the leading edge or is the back side of the C?

chopper6322 said:
figured it out, the drive shaft fits inside of a bigger sprocket, or gear, that had fallen back behind, so i had to jimmie it back into place and put it all back together, now i'm curious which way the impeller should go... is the inside of the C the leading edge or is the back side of the C?

The inside of the C should scoop in water and push the water thru the system,at least that was how it was explained to me.So,I would assume(we all know where assuming gets us,LOL)that the C would face the direction the shaft turns in.I'm not 100% on this tho.

If someone posts something different,please explain why.I am going to be doing this on my motor soon also.

it was explained to me (by my father-in-law-) also assuming, that the curve should go in the direction of the centrifigal force so actually the outside of the C would be pushing water, his logic for this is that at full speed the impeller (being rubber) actually shrinks so that it's no longer touching the sides, so naturally that would be the direction of curve....still assuming though LOL

chopper6322 said:
his logic for this is that at full speed the impeller (being rubber) actually shrinks so that it's no longer touching the sides

Watch the rear tires on a funny car or top fueler sometime :wink:

ST

SlimeTime said:
chopper6322 said:
his logic for this is that at full speed the impeller (being rubber) actually shrinks so that it's no longer touching the sides

Watch the rear tires on a funny car or top fueler sometime :wink:

ST

The slicks on my old drag car expanded rapidly and wrinkled like an old maid. :LMFAO:

Sorry, this pic has nothing to do with the title, but....

DSCF5609.jpg

Glad you got her back together..

Latest posts