Voyager 1670 Jon Mod - wasting my time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fender66 said:
That's going to be a great build. Love the width of it!...So will you if you don't already! Looking forward to "progress pictures" and, since you are in Missouri....crossing paths with you someday.

Welcome to TinBoats. :beer:
Thanks. No, I won't mess her, cause she won't be going anywhere without me!! :lol: The width may be decieving. I think it's the same as the boat in your signature as far as width (48 in the bottom??). For some reason, Voyager calls their boat widths by the beam. Not sure why. I'm down in the Springfield area, so who knows, maybe we can plan a little fishin' trip once I get this bad boy done. Did you build yours?? I'm thinking mine won't be a whole lot different than it. as far as basic layout. With the rod box, it will be a little tight, but I decided I wanted one, so.......oh well.

Picked up the gunnels, bow plate, and rivets today and letting the aircraft stripper work right now. It seemed to really start on some spots and others couldn't even tell it was on. Hope it gets it all off in one coat cause I only bought two cans, but I guess I'll have to get more if not. On that note, guess I'll go check on it!!

Thanks. No, I won't mess her, cause she won't be going anywhere without me!! :lol: The width may be decieving. I think it's the same as the boat in your signature as far as width (48 in the bottom??). For some reason, Voyager calls their boat widths by the beam. Not sure why. I'm down in the Springfield area, so who knows, maybe we can plan a little fishin' trip once I get this bad boy done. Did you build yours?? I'm thinking mine won't be a whole lot different than it. as far as basic layout. With the rod box, it will be a little tight, but I decided I wanted one, so.......oh well.
Picked up the gunnels, bow plate, and rivets today and letting the aircraft stripper work right now. It seemed to really start on some spots and others couldn't even tell it was on. Hope it gets it all off in one coat cause I only bought two cans, but I guess I'll have to get more if not. On that note, guess I'll go check on it!!

No, I didn't build mine. Changed and added a few minor things, but that's it. Mine is a 1756JC built by Alweld. Love it.
Don't forget to take pics of yours as you work on it.

fender66 said:

No, I didn't build mine. Changed and added a few minor things, but that's it. Mine is a 1756JC built by Alweld. Love it.
Don't forget to take pics of yours as you work on it.

I just noticed your trolling motor is on the port side rather than the starboard side. It seems as though everyone puts them the other way. Any special reason for that? I guess it doesn't change function. I'm thinking I might do the same with mine just to help balance out the side to side weight. Any thoughts? What about the other weight balance issues I mentioned previously concerning the rear live well?? Any input is appreciated.

Oh, yeah. The stripper didn't work as well as hoped, so, after I spend some time with the kids, I'm gonna stay up a little lat and see what I can do with a paint stripping wheeel on the drill.

My TM was on that side when I bought the boat. Doesn't bother me really.

Weight of the livewell.....mine in my current boat is centered left to right. My last boat I modded the livewell to also be center to balance weight. My gas and batteries also were placed to balance the weight as best I could. 2 up front for trolling....1 in back for motor. The one in back offset some of the gas tank weight therefore as even as I could get it.

I know what you mean about the old OMCs. I just traded for a 54 25HP BIG TWIN Evinrude. I'm going to rebuild it then put it on my 1468 Polar Kraft. I think it should turn some heads. Nice work so far on your build. Todd

Oh, yeah. The stripper didn't work as well as hoped, so, after I spend some time with the kids, I'm gonna stay up a little lat and see what I can do with a paint stripping wheeel on the drill.

The best thing I have found to strip paint off of aluminum is elbow grease and wire wheels. Check out my build thread to see what I mean. lol

Okay, a little update and some pictures. Been really busy this week getting called in on my days off and not getting to work on boat. However, I am almost done setting up the welder, so things are still moving forward - just not as fast as I wish it were. On the bright side, I did find a paint stripper tonight that is awesome if you ask me. Check it out in the pictures below. It's called "Citristrip" and comes in an aeresol can at Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot and probably others for around $9 a can. It goes A LOT further and is ten times as effective as aircraft stripper in my opinion. If you have had trouble stripping paint before - I dare you to try this stuff - it works great!! (Wow, I need to do a commercial - wait......I think I just did :lol: )

I'm still waiting on the rest to work, so I will take more pictures after I finish and then powerwash.IMG_9562.JPG
IMG_9564.JPG
IMG_9565.JPG
IMG_9568.JPG
IMG_9569.JPG
IMG_9567.JPG

I know the pictures just can't depict all the hard work that goes into a rebuild, just have to walk a mile in your shoes. I'm at this same place in my build and I'm whooped. I like your paint scheme; different, creative.

Keep up the good work and the pics help alot.

Well, finally had time to get the rest of the paint off and took her up to the car wash to power off any residue left form the stripper.

Attachments

• IMG_9571.JPG
    IMG_9571.JPG
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 679
So, after the carwash, I got her back right side up for a while to replace the gunnels and bow plate and start on the framing. I now have my TIG welder set up and working well, so things will hopefully start moving a little faster. I will be welding the framing when I don't have any help, but will wait on a friend who is a much better welder to weld the bow plate in place (which will hopefully be very soon). I was able to get the gunnels cut, fitted and installed today and got a few pieces cut for framing, but nothing is together yet - hope to work on that in the evenings now that I will be able to. Here are a few pictures from the gunnel install.

IMG_9574.JPG

IMG_9578.JPG

IMG_9579.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9584.JPG

IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

Just wanted to post a few pictures and give a little update. I have been working a lot of overtime getting called in to work, so it seems like I just can't get anything done. I have finished the main part of the framing on the rear deck (just have to finish framing hatch area for live well after it's built and installed) and I have started on the front deck. It's quite obvious that I still need a lot more practice welding aluminum though. I'm confident in the strength of the welds, but pretty isn't the first word that comes to mind when you see them. I'm still waiting of a friend who is supposed to come over and weld the bow plate in, but I may end up having to do that myself. I appologize for not getting more pictures taken, but what little time I've had, I have tried to use working on the boat. I hope to finish the framing on the front deck tomorrow, but I do have to get some "pine derby cars" cut out for my kids so they can get them ready for next week's race for their awana club.

I have also decided to not build a rod box as I showed in the drawing, but, rather, just install pole holders on both sides of the boat to provide for rod storage. I also had the chance to run to Bass Pro and pick up my bilge and live well pumps, so I am looking forward to getting them installed when it's ready. On that note, I have a question that hopefully someone will be able to help me with: Where can I find a "through-hull" with longer threads??? I don't want to have to build "steps" in my live wells to set them down between the ribs of the boat, but would rather have the 2 inches of foam under them. This would require a through-hull with roughly 2 3/4 inches of thread. The longest through-hull I could find only has 1 5/8". Any ideas? Please let me know. Thanks.

IMG_9612.JPG

IMG_9613.JPG

IMG_9615.JPG

IMG_9614.JPG

Should be done by next year at this rate!! :shock:

I have another question: What paint have you all found to be best and longest lasting. I am considering using this paint:
https://www.supermarinepaint.com/bottom-revolution-SM-1000.asp

It's supposed to be about the best there is and last 40 years or longer, but it's also going to cost about $400 by the time I purchase all the thinner, primer, etc. required to maintain the warranty. So, wondering what else you all might recommend that will have the same quality look, durability, and longevity.

Also, still hoping someone has an idea for my live well drain through-hulls as mentioned int he previous post.

Thanks.

Can't help you with the paint but the only way I think the thru hull idea would work with the foam would be to use two fittings connected with hose.

bAcKpAiN said:
Can't help you with the paint but the only way I think the thru hull idea would work with the foam would be to use two fittings connected with hose.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm hoping that's not my only option. [-o<

Latest posts