Water level in battery?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delmonte67

Reaction score
I have a 12 v battery, its about 3 years old-works great, my question is how high should the water level be inside, when you pull the rectangular caps off? My water level is about an inch below the top, should I top it off with distilled water to the very top? Just doing some preventative maintenance. Thanks D.

As long as the plates inside are covered with water it will be OK. Each time you add water it dilutes the acid so add only if necessary. Top off water after charging not before. Ever notice if you charge a battery that is "full" of water, acid water will will boil out onto to top of the battery? This is because the plates actually absorb some of the acid and water then when it is charged it forces the acid water out of the plates.

Just covering the plates. If its real low, get battery electrolite(acid) from a parts store, use it with CAUTION. I took a couple discarded and abused batterys and topped with acid, put it thru a couple charge cycles and got anouther year of use.

Thanks alot fellas for the info, I guess my battery is fine. I Have to say, this website and the helpful people on here is AWESOME!!! It really helps us new boat owners with so much info! Thanks again guys!!! =D> D.