What an experience

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
Today I got to try out the fire extinguisher on my boat!!!! I was running on plane when I started to smell something funny. I immediately shut off the gas motor, and lifted the back deck. There was a small fire near the battery. I sprayed the area thoroughly with white powder, and then went to work to discover the problem. It seems it was the bilge pump wiring. The length of wire between the battery and the switch was all burnt up and smoking, and the fire was right where the wire hits the battery terminal.
The good news: the only wiring that will need to be replaced is the bilge pump wire, the others were not harmed. I hope the bilge pump is still good. I was able to continue fishing and ended up catching 20+ fish
The bad news: I have to replace that wire, need to add a fuse this time! And the rear of my boat needs a thorough cleaning.

I am guessing the problems was a short.... Any ideas?

Couple Things To Check. . .

Does The Bilge Pump Still Work, And Is It Turning Freely ? If It Jammed Or Was Plugged Up, That Could Lead To Overheating The Circuit,

What Size/Gauge Wire Was Between The Bilge Pump And The Battery ? If Too Thin, Could Heat Up The Wire, Like A Light Bulb Element.

Yes, Add A Fuse To That ( All ) Circuits On-Board When You Replace The Wiring.

Gives Us All An Update Once You Dig Into It And Learn Some More.

PS - Recharge/Replace The Fire Extinguisher Before You Go Back Out. Hope You NEVER Need It Again, But You Learned How Valuable It Was.

Fuses are your friends. I have one in the line from the battery to the switch box and a fuse inline from each switch.

After my fire, I think I should rewire my entire electrical system. I think I am going to use this switch and fuse box combo.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Marine-Grade-Switch-Panels/738018.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dswitch%2Bpanel%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=switch+panel&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

This will add a fuse to all my wires, and also modernize my current array of non-matching switches across my dash. Anybody with this cabelas product? Reviews? I suck at electrical so I hope it is easy to wire.
David

Try running the bilge pump while out of the boat if possible to see if it works as advertised. If you find nothing wrong before going back out make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy on your next trip just in case. Fuses will help also.

Latest posts