What Guage Wire ( Cable) Do I Need For This Setup ?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuptii

Reaction score
I've got a boat with a 175 SJ and I want to 'rebalance' the load . I'm planning to move my batteries to the bow area and run cable back to the BIG engine and kicker.
The Sport Jet starter draws 175 Amps when working so what size cable would I need ? It would be a 15 to 16 foot run ... straight line ... From the charts I glanced at
4/0 would be too small ... Right or wrong ??? ... OR ... Should I just squeeze the starting battery in the back . Battery requirerments are 670 MCA,520 CCA .

i will say this, buy the biggest guage cables/wire you can afford. bigger the guage the easier it pulls the load/current hence your starter or anything else will not have to work as hard to get the juice it needs and last longer....my 0.02 cents

I understand the premise of a balanced river fishing craft (I guess it's a river fishing craft?). But, W/O seeing pics of your set up, I'd suggest mounting the batt as close to the power head as possible.

The longer the cable/wire run, the bigger gauge wire you will need. If 4ga is not big enough, then go with 0ga, which is used when powering high wattage amps in auto sound systems. These power runs normally go from the engine compartment battery to the trunk where the amp(s) are installed .and to avoid electrical issues they commonly use 0 ga. Make sure to use a suitable size breaker within 12-18 inches of the battery.

I am with Kevin on this one I would mount the starting battery as close to the powerhead as i could.
themn if you want to mount your trolling motor batteries up front you will be goo to go

redbug said:
I am with Kevin on this one I would mount the starting battery as close to the powerhead as i could.
themn if you want to mount your trolling motor batteries up front you will be goo to go

I agree.

Latest posts