What MPG are you guys getting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never really measured MPG.

This past saturday we traveled between 50-55 miles. I used around 9-10 gallons of gas. So that would somewhere between 5 and 6 gallons per mile.

Being a numbers guy (yup a bit sick) I tested mine running 20 miles and then filling up. 3.6 gallons or ~5.5 mpg. The was at 40mph/4300rpm. At WOT I am seeing 49.8mph top speed but burning twice the amount of fuel. Seems the efficient RPM is 3800-4300 RPM.

Boat's power to weight ratio is a near perfect 10:1 (10lbs per HP) and that equates to the fuel ratio. If you're getting 6 or 7 miles per gallon in a jet, you need to consider yourself very lucky. I've owned 6 including 50/35, 60/40-45, 90/65, 115/80 and 200HP. My worst to date was a 115/80 with a whopping 1.8 mpg. That boats power to weight ratio was 17lbs per HP, which is well below the 25:1 but that 2 stroke Yamaha is a PIG.

Seth, I am willing to bet that if your buddy tones that big E-Tech down a few hundred rpm he can double those numbers. Do you know what your and his your speeds are in the Legend? Are they still .100ga? We have one on my home river with a 225 E-Tech but I'm never going in the same direction to see what speed he's hitting. He also seems to have that thing WOT too :)

About 3.5mpg in a tournament situation with two anglers, boat full of gear, livewells full, and running WOT (5500 rpms). If I am just out fishing and pull the throttle back to around 4700 rpms or so, I have gotten up to 3.8. I have a '97 1650AW Alumacraft with a '97 90/65 Yamaha 2 stroke jet. Not sure if it helps on fuel mileage but I also run Boyeson reeds in the engine.

My 16' duracraft equipped with the yamaha MR-1 High Output gets about 5 MPG, and that's with 2 people, averaging cruising speed most of the time, occasional WOT, and occasional idling. Its fuel consumption is roughly 3 GPH running under the same conditions. Not too bad for a boat, I suppose.

Darkside said:
Seth, I am willing to bet that if your buddy tones that big E-Tech down a few hundred rpm he can double those numbers. Do you know what your and his your speeds are in the Legend? Are they still .100ga? We have one on my home river with a 225 E-Tech but I'm never going in the same direction to see what speed he's hitting. He also seems to have that thing WOT too :)

The best I managed in my boat was 39.4 going down river. We gps'd the 225 at 54 mph heading down river with three people in it. I'm sure you are right on the fuel economy, but I get impatient and a jet is more fun WOT anyways. My buddy doesn't have to worry about his boat fuel economy any longer since he already traded his boat for another **** truck! He has two diesel trucks now and no boat. He'll be whining about that come springtime I guarantee.

I'm pretty sure the 1852 and 1860 hulls are .100 gauge all around. They are pretty darn heavy I know that.

Seth said:
The best I managed in my boat was 39.4 going down river. We gps'd the 225 at 54 mph heading down river with three people in it. I'm sure you are right on the fuel economy, but I get impatient and a jet is more fun WOT anyways. My buddy doesn't have to worry about his boat fuel economy any longer since he already traded his boat for another **** truck! He has two diesel trucks now and no boat. He'll be whining about that come springtime I guarantee.

I'm pretty sure the 1852 and 1860 hulls are .100 gauge all around. They are pretty darn heavy I know that.

Thanks Seth, my previous 3 Outboard jet boats had .190 aluminum with 1/2" UHMW screwed on the bottom. Top speed in a custom 1866 was a good 6-7 miles per hour slower than yours. Even still, low 30's was usually fast enough. In the summer our river looks like this for a few dozen miles.

In the summer you can't manage to miss all of these all of the time. As the water rises to running levels, you can't see every "V" marker and when the wind blows (it's a half mile wide) You see no evidence but know these goonies are just uner the surface. As a boater, you have two choices if you're out there... forced to putt or go for it. Guys with .100 do well, but the tend to cave their boats in if they misread a line. The .190 and 1/2 UHMW give you a few mulligans each day.

Granted, there are those who bash those heavier hulls in too. My latest boat is also a .190 bottom with an extra 11' x 23" .250 running up the middle. I still cringe when I'm running it 40 mph over or around this stuff. Especially when I have a 15-20% of the throttle left. If you want to see heavy boats, come see us out east some time LOL.

There's not too many hull slicers around here. The worse thing I have to worry about is running up on a shoal and scratching the bottom up and sucking rocks up the jet grate. I'd take a tank over a speedster anyday when running the stuff you guys run.

Just as a comparison of another type of boat, I was reading Boating magazine and they did a review of a 57' Hatteras offshore boat. At WOT running 47 mph, it burns an amazing 164 gph or .25 mpg. That just absolutely amazed me that people can actually afford to run a boat like this. So we are all getting pretty good gas mileage in our jets in comparison!!

Scott

Scottinva said:
Just as a comparison of another type of boat, I was reading Boating magazine and they did a review of a 57' Hatteras offshore boat. At WOT running 47 mph, it burns an amazing 164 gph or .25 mpg. That just absolutely amazed me that people can actually afford to run a boat like this. So we are all getting pretty good gas mileage in our jets in comparison!!

Scott

Scott, For several years we ran a 28' Rampage with 2 175hp Mercs as a solid fishing vessel for the NJ Shore. There were 3 of us to manage the costs and the boat was owned meaning no bank lean. We kept track of the fees one year.

$3200 Slip fee for 6 months (included the dry dock fees in and out + electric and water with a bathroom key)
$5400 Fuel Cost @ $3.80 - $4.20 on the water Marina costs
$ 350 2 Stroke Oil Cost
$ 200 Boat Cleaning Supplies
$ 700 Misc Maintenance
$ 550 Sea Tow and Basic Boat Insurance
---------
$10,400/3 = ~$3,500 or $290 each a month throughout the year. That takes a lot of fluke, sea trout and stripers. After including terminal tackle and bait to the boat costs... I think it ended up something like $20 a lb for fish we caught LOL

5 years ago we sold the boat. Which by the way, was the least expensive part of the whole process. We would burn 40-50 gallons a day at a run rate of about 10 gallons per engine per hour. It had a 150 gallon capacity.

After running my new hull all summer i am averaging 5mpg on weekend camping trips and 7mpg with fishing gear and a normal sized fishing partner. Im running my 2 stroke Yamaha 40/28 off of my old boat. If my liner and impeller aren't sharp and shimmed right it will drop much lower though.

When I am in my Ranger with a Merc. 200 HP 3.0 liter 2 stroke (when idle, everyone thinks its bored out or modified due to the lope sound like a street bike), my computer on board the Ranger tells me i am burning the following:

Idle speed : 1.2 -2.2 ( varies ) gallons per hour
Cruise at about 40 MPH, it burns between 10-13 gallons per hour
WOT it burns a whopping 28 gallons per hour

When I am running my Carolina Skiff with a Tohatsu 9.8hp 4stroke, I can run about 4 trips or so on 3.5 gallons but I dont know the burn rate off hand.

Glad you guys brought this up. Don't know what my evinrude 70/50 is getting, but I suspect it is close to 2 mpg. ;( I'll have to figure it out...

cyberflexx said:
When I am in my Ranger with a Merc. 200 HP 3.0 liter 2 stroke ...
I have had a few Rangers, a couple with Merc 200's. The first was a 21' with dual 18 gal tanks. With the 200hp black max at wot you could literally see the fuel gauge dropping. ;) I had the 200 EFI on my next 19' Ranger. That was the sweetest running big motor I have had. Ran like a clock since it was brand new.

Latest posts