What MPG are you guys getting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
I'm getting 2 miles per gallon. TWO FREAKING MILES PER GALLON!!!!!! 1974 in line 6 150 horse Mercury with a pump. Starting to get expensive.

I'm not too sure I have a problem, I think that is just my mpg. In the last 8 months I have had the carbs rebuilt, fuel pump rebuilt, new plugs and wires, and put all new gas lines throughout the motor. Basically the whole fuels system was replaced with new parts.

I'm getting around 4 mpg with a 02 yamaha 40/28 2 stroke.

I think you are fine... I get about 2.5-3mpg. A jet is a very gas hungry creature.... especially the 2 strokes. And the larger the HP the worse it gets.

Nature of the beast!

Jets are:
expensive compared to their prop counterparts
steer horribly at low speed
lose about 1/3 of the head hp
not fuel efficient at all

Trade off is you can go through the shallow stuff!

I wouldn't give mine up for anything! Just enjoy your 2 MPG!

I think im rite there with you at 2 MPG with my 1986 115 Merc jet.. At wot I can watch the gas gauge drop.. I try to keep it at 4800 rpm and it seems to not be as thirsty. I know i can burn up a 17 gallon tank in a day if i keep it pinned at WOT, it is fun but add's up quick.

crazymanme2 said:
I'm getting 2 miles per gallon. TWO FREAKING MILES PER GALLON!!!!!! 1974 in line 6 150 horse Mercury with a pump. Starting to get expensive.

What condition is your jet pump in :?:

New impeller and sleeve last year. Sharpened the impeller this Spring, the way 'lilbluerude recommended. Impeller shimmed to 1/32" and while it was just in the shop last week I had the guys make sure it was shimmed correctly and the pump was correct. All in all the whole motor set up is in great condition and well taken care of.

I might be doing that good, usually four gallons a week, two 1.8 mile trips up river with some float back. I found I do better running around 5k vs. 6500rpm all the time, speed drops off only a couple MPH too.

Jamie

I must say my boat getts pretty good milage as it is a 20 jet on a 1448.MY 1448 is a .63 aliminum so it light and the 20 do ok. =D>

I get 3.5-4 mpg with my 2008 115 Etec. My buddy has a 2006 225HO etec and we figured he gets 2.5-3mpg roughly. My motor is on an 1852 Legend SS and his is on an 1860 Legend SS. Both are the flat bass model.

My first boat was a 1648 with a 1995 50/35 Yamaha jet. That thing drank more fuel that my 115 and got overloaded way too easily.

Is that running it or being nice?[/quote]
thats running her easy, about 32 mph and an occasional hole i'll mess around in. running it hard it'll still get almost 5[/quote]

From 7 or 6 to almost 5..

Will call that 3 :)[/quote]
ha. if it got 3 mpg with a near stock sbc it'd be for sale. a boat like this you can run at 3k rpm and run 31 mph pretty easily. so 3k-between 6 and 7 and 4800rpm almost 5. :LOL2:

silver99gt said:
Is that running it or being nice?
thats running her easy, about 32 mph and an occasional hole i'll mess around in. running it hard it'll still get almost 5

From 7 or 6 to almost 5..

Will call that 3 :)
ha. if it got 3 mpg with a near stock sbc it'd be for sale. a boat like this you can run at 3k rpm and run 31 mph pretty easily. so 3k-between 6 and 7 and 4800rpm almost 5. :LOL2:

Glad you saw my humor in that.. :)

I get around 5mph WOT and 74mph with my 225hpdi on my toon
if i baby it 3500rpm i get around 7