what size motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foulksey

Reaction score
What is the biggest motor you would put on a 12' Sears Flatbottom Jon? Its beam is 43". It doesnt have a rating plate and I cant find any info about it on the internet. Thanks

:WELCOME:

I would put no bigger than a 10hp.

Braver people might. I do not think it is needed. I have seen boats on youtube (PBW's) with a 5hp Briggs scoot along just nice.

right now i am looking at a 2.5 hp and a 9.9 hp, both used. Not sure if the 2.5 is enough but i am worried the 9.9 is to much. dont know how much it weighs but with just my trolling motor, battery and my weight has the rear sitting kinda low in the water. also most boat of that size say nothing bigger than 5 hp or so.

When i was in high school i had a v hull 12' with a 15 johnson. We used to tube behind it, wish i had pictures.

im just new here but im getting my dads 27 year old 12ft sears and me and my brother had a 9.9hp on it with no problems both of us were 200lbs a peice and all our gear.

i have a 12 v starcraft and i use a 5hp brigs on it with me my bride and son with just us there is about 425lbs then gear and it is great for us

Latest posts