What size TM do you run?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Reaction score
Im debating what size of trolling motor I should be looking at for my 16 foot aluminum crestliner. I want t new bowmount, and I also only want to still with one battery for it, so I think that limits me to 55 lbs.

With that being said, I always assumed more to be better and was thinking Id get the 55 lbs model, but im not really sure how necessary that is.

So how big of trolling motors do you guys run, and is biggest always better in this situation?

I am running a 55lb thrust PD-V2 in my 14' V-hull and it is more than enough. Could have gotten away with a lot less but I got it on sale and couldn't pass it up. I usually have about 900 lbs of weight in my boat total

I have a 50lb on my 12' semi v. The only time it isn't enough is when the river is up and the current is strong. It will hold me in position, but not go upstream directly into the current. Other than that, it is plenty big.

I saw this weekend that almost all the new Trackers (TX17, TX19, etc.) come with 45 pound Minn Kotas. Makes me feel good about a 45 lb'er for my 1232.

I run a 45 pound Minn Kotas on my 16'Lowe. I've had no problems with this being enough power for me, so a 55 pound should serve you easily.

Splash said:
Im debating what size of trolling motor I should be looking at for my 16 foot aluminum crestliner. I want t new bowmount, and I also only want to still with one battery for it, so I think that limits me to 55 lbs.

With that being said, I always assumed more to be better and was thinking Id get the 55 lbs model, but im not really sure how necessary that is.

So how big of trolling motors do you guys run, and is biggest always better in this situation?

I have a 55lb pd I-pilot on the front with a 50lb c2 endura on the back of a 18 foot tracker grizzly. Moves right along with the 55lb.

I'm having issues with the wind and my i-pilot (I get a zig-zag pattern out of my straight program) because the wind blows the boat easily and the I-pilot is a little slow to correct because they don't want you falling out when it turns I guess. So a 55lb foot control would probably give you some finnesse in the wind.
Is a crestliner flat or v-bottom? If V I'd go at least a 55 if it was me.
I've run mine for 3-4 hours fishing then wide open for 1/2 mile back to the dock and have never run the battery under half according to the guages on the motor.

I have a 17' tracker, installed a 70lbs thrust 24v minn kota maxxum and love it. I have been in 30+ mph winds and still able to control it.
Also I never have to run it at full power, so my battery life is great. I have never had batteries dead on me yet. Had a 42lbs on before and would run battery dead frequently on windy days. Also had hard time gaining any ground of windy also. Now I have never had to run over 80%.

One time I feel it paid for itself. wind come up while I was on water. had to go to landing and drop buddy off to back trailer in. I was able to point boat into wind, control boat, back first, going to shore for him to jump out, then pull back out to deeper water where I could drop my bigger motor. I do not know how I would have got it away from shore any other way.

45lb Minn Kota Edge on my 1648 Crestliner. It is plenty enough power for where I fish most of the time. As said above, it will work fine with little or no current.

Wow I must be under powered, my 16' Polar Kraft has a MotorGuide Model 727 which is a 30 or 35 don't remember for sure. I run it on 1 or 2 most of the time. I've only had it in the water twice and it works fine I've had no problems. From the power it has in 5 I would think it would do just fine in current.

I have a Tracker PT175 with a 60 2stroke, boat came with a 43 MG, went up to a MK 55 Terrova with IP. The 55# will pull my boat up to 2.4mph via gps if needed, but I usually troll/longline anywhere from .7mph to 1.5 via gps for 4-6 hrs at a time with no issues. Wind does push the boat around but the 55 will keep up. If it gets too windy, I go home but that's just me.

I had been running a 56lb thrust 12/24 on my 1448 jet boat, but I am upgrading to my other TM which is a 67lb thrust motorguide. A man can never have too much power.

MotorGuide Pro 77lb thrust 24 volt. If I'd change anything, I'd make it more powerful....but this works fine as it is.

Latest posts