What's your worst medical/dental experience?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanr3 said:
Hmmmm. I split my right kne cap in half with a machette while in Panama during Jungle warfare training. Maybe it was when I fell off the monorail and hit my head on a rock, only memories I have of that is what I was told happened, although neither of them compare to teh time I almost died.

Short version-
Friday- docs office with pain in my side.
Sunday admitted tot eh hospital- peeing blood. Kidney floor. Spent a week there.
Home a week still not right.
Nunerous tests, zippo.
Admitted to the hospital for plurasy, infection fluid in the lining surrounding the lungs. They pumped in antibiotics, made me walk the halls to mix it witht eh infection. Drained for 4 days, went home again.
Still not right.
Went for a bone scan, half way through the technician left and returned with the doctor. After the exam he sent me home and told me my doc would call in 2-3 days. 20 minutes later I walked in the house and the doc called. TOld me to go back to the hopsipal, their putting in a stunt. They put in my artery and ended it at the heart.
Every night for the next 6 months I hooked up to an IV at home to get my medication. Only offered as a liquid. Every Monday the nurse drew blood so they could monitor the infection rate.
I had to take a pill to enhance the effects of the Vancomyacine (sp), that turned my pee orange. Ever walk into a stall full of orange pee. IT can be entertaining listening to the reactions. :)
I had a staff infection that was in my 3rd vertibra in my back.
That first week in the hospital I saw the blue and white light, answered a question I never heard asked, here I am today.

What was the question?

OK, cystosocpy's are bad, but the worst experience actually didn't happen to me. Just over three years ago my boy (who was 6 at the time) came off the hockey rink complaining about a pain in his side. We didn't think much of it at the time, but by 3:00 am the next morning he was in so much pain he could hardly move. My wife (the smart one) knew something was seriously wrong and immediately took him to the Hospital for Sick Children here in Toronto. At first they thought it was his appendix, but soon determned that he had an abcess in his liver (i.e., an infection), which is rare but very serious.

They put him on heavy antibiotics (via IV) but eventually detemined that surgery was required to drain the infection. During the course of the procedure they not only punctured one of his lungs, but the infection got into his blood stream. When he came out we had a very sick boy on our hands. The doctors warned us that, now that the infection had spread throughout his body, he was "touch and go". Well, I stayed by that little guy's side all night and we fought that infection together. As a parent there is nothing in the world harder than seeing your child in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of them. If I had a choice, I would have switched places with him in a heartbeat. This was one of the hardest things I have ever experienced in my life.

The good news is that, after 6 weeks in the hospital, my brave little boy won that fight. I am so proud of him. He handled the whole ordeal like a little trooper. He never cried once, not even as they poked him with needles and IV tubes (I actually cired more than he did - I'm tearing up now as I write this).

Today he is a healthy happy boy, and a pretty good hockey player.

Guess I've been blessed. Had some serious bumps and bruises, but nothing like what some of you have shared.

I was told that I had rectal cancer at age 39 and had surgery to remove that. Got real lucky..no chemo, radiation, or anything other than surgery. But...they did drive a bus up my ARSE, everybody got off the bus, did some jack hammering and road repair, everyone got back on the bus, then they drove it out again. Well, that's what it felt like anyway.

A year later, they found cancer again. This time, in my intestine, but it was small enough that they were able to remove it during the colonoscopy. Again...very lucky. Each time it was called carsinoma insitu (sp?) which means, only in this spot (I'm told).

I've been scoped from both ends about 8 or 9 times in the past 5 years. Guess I'm a pro at it..but I still hate the prep and pucker tightly whenever I see anyone wearing rubber gloves! :shock:

I'm still hanging on and doing fine and consider myself blessed to have the life that I have. [-o<

I have had two experiences myself.

The first one was when I was about twenty years old and fell through a suspended ceiling in my uncles shop. It was a ten foot fall although catching the top of an open door on the first floor did slow me down a bit. I ripped it off the hinges. I hit the concrete floor on the flat of my back. At first I thought I was OK. I even went back to work. About 45 minutes later I started having back pains. I told my uncle whom I was working for at the time and he told me to go to the emergency room. I drove myself to the emergency room and parked in the parking lot. I walked in and told them what had happened and they took me to a room and said the doctor would be with me shortly. When the doctor came in he asked me if I walked in and told him yes. He then told me nothing was broken and sent me home without even giving me an x-ray. Three days later I was still hurting so I go another doctor and have it x-rayed. I had broken my 3rd lumbar vertebra. Lesson learned - If you have back pains, park at the emergency room entrance and make them carry you in.

The second instance was April 5 2005 at 8:30 in the morning. I was working on an aircraft pushback tractor that weighed thirty five thousand pounds. It managed to roll onto my right hip. I had massive hematoma's on my right hip. The company doctor said I needed physical therapy and started me on it. After three weeks they were getting upset with me because I was not walking. I could not walk. Finally the company doctor was getting upset with me and sent me to another doctor. He sent me to a hernia doctor. The hernia doctor felt for a pulse behind my right knee and put me in the hospital right then and there. There was not very good pulse and he knew it right away. My leg was dying. It had been getting darker and darker from the blood being cut off to it. He drained over a liter of fluid from my hip during the operation and put a drain in for a couple of days afterward. I was out of work for nine months. I feel much better now.

BaitCaster What was the question?[/quote said:
Thats the hard part. I never heard the question. I had two choices for an answer, heaven or earth. I wasn't done teaching my children and wanted to spend my retirement with my wife. I wasn't ready to leave them.

big kidney stone....thought my wife was going to kill me because I am sure I acted like an idiot! :shock: :LOL2:

Many years ago I was bitten by a rattlesnake and after arriving at the emergency room was given antivenin. The snakebite itself wasn't all that bad but I had an allergic reaction to the antivenin that was really rough. For the first 24 hours (5 days in the hospital) I had blood drawn once an hour. Now, I can eat a Big Mac while watching an autopsy but getting blood drawn just tears me up. I turn white, break out in a cold sweat, and it's only been in the past few years that I can sit up while having it done...and I've never once watched the blood being sucked up into a vacuum tube. During the time I was having the blood drawn once an hour I was counting...59, 58, 57...minutes until I get it done again. It was the worst 24 hours of my life.

Latest posts