Which 50-60 HP for aluminum boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richg99 said:
Sounds wonderful. Northern GA. Are you able to catch fish all winter long?????

I have a Summer place near Knoxville, and it sounds pretty chilly.

Well, truth is I hunt a lot during late Oct-Dec time frame, but I go fishing when I can in between trips to the deer lease. As long as it isn't really windy, I am in my kayak. When I get my tin boat, I'll go fishing a lot more. Cold doesn't bother me as much as wind. We get 4 seasons here, but lakes don't freeze or anything like that.

Edit to add: Florida is only a half-day drive away! North Florida, anyway. 8)

Congratulations. You'll love the rig I'm sure.

N. Georgia sounds like it is here. I fish year round. Local lakes are loaded with crappie during the 3 cool seasons which are also 2 of the 5 tornado seasons. Then the local rivers...I'll fish the rivers in the winter when it's cold, the lakes, just not enough to block that COLD wind. I can't do cold very well, and fishing the river is typically fast action, get a limit in minutes, stay another hour or two watch the Eagles, load up and go home-assuming my fingers can turn the key in the truck. Have had that happen a couple times. Sit on the hands for a while until feeling/strength comes back. "Cold" to me, is 40 degrees or less. Speaking of "cold", is snowed yesterday. Less than an inch. I hope that's the last of it for the rest of the winter! 1" is 3/4" too much. I do not hunt. Too many other people in the woods this time of year. I've been shot at before but a lady who mistook me for a deer. That's how "deer crazy" people are here, already had one hunter had his head and part of RH shoulder turned to pink mist this past weekend by a "hunter" who didn't identify the target before pulling the trigger....

Turbotodd....your profile doesn't show you location.

I'm in Houston for the "Winter". We got down to the high 20's the other night, which is seriously messed up for our "Semi-Tropical" location. We actually had a few snow flutters, too. But, it will be the 70's this weekend for the high. Love it!

richg99

p.s. We've been in Houston for 38 years now. In all of that time, I've seen Five "snowfalls" (all less than an inch or two). THREE of those FIVE were in the last few years.

Hmmm ... says he likes the Iggles, which implies PA or thereabouts, but 72032 is zip code for Conway AR - in which case maybe he means watching real eagles, not NFL Eagles. Whar ye from, Todd?

72032 is where I grow'd up. Not too far from there now but I did the early years in Nebraska on the river (parents lived on a boat 8 months out of the year). Raced go-karts in the summers AND winters, on the frozen lakes, although I won't do it now for sure since me & cold hate each other.

I hate snow, hate ice, hate cold. Hate hot too but I've been able to tolerate it and fish in triple digit temps out in the sun many many times, destroying the crappie population when everybody else is waiting for fall/winter/spring.

What's Red Eagles? All I see is hawks, balds, kites, mockingbirds and the little ones. Oh and those blamed owls that keep me up all night in the early spring....."who cooks for you".... :eek:

I am all set on the platform now, now I need to collect the needed accessories. I have a Lowrance FF with 2D and DS to put on the trolling motor. I'll eventually upgrade the FF, but not now, going to wait for a sale on the new Humminbird G3N units. I also have PFDs, but am going to get a self-inflating one to wear all the time, since I mostly fish alone.
So, to make a list, I'm going to need:
registration and lettering (gotta pay the imperial state government their dang tax)
fire extinguisher
Air Horn in a can
Flare pistol (really? not sure about this one)
Cranking battery - Going with a new Duracell Ultimate
Some more lights for running, nav, and fishing. As an electrical engineer, I may get fancy with the LEDs for illumination and fishing.
Some kind of recovery ladder to get back in if I fall out. I'm a very strong swimmer, was a RC-trained lifeguard in my youth, but getting older ya know...
Anchor(s) and possibly a drift sock and maybe a drag chain
Rope (always need rope), and fenders, maybe, to keep from banging into pilings when fishing under bridges

The big purchase is a new trolling motor. Not sure how fancy I want to get here, and still researching, but the MK units with i-pilot and spot lock could be very useful. I'm just not sure I really need it, or want to spend that much. Probably go with something manual first.

Latest posts