wood vs aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminum, purely as a building material, is better option then wood in almost all circumstances when building on an aluminum boat. Primary reasons are that it last longer without fear of rot or warping, and it is lighter then wood.

With that being said, there are other factors which can determine which is right for you. If you are on a budget, wood as a building material is more readily available, and cost less then if you are buying aluminum at retailer. Yes, there are added expenses, such as bolts, screws and sealer which will bring the cost closer to aluminum, however it is still less expensive to purchase and use wood as your primary building material.

You can make the argument if you purchase aluminum from a scrap yard, it cost less. This very well could be true, but not everyone has access to a scrap yard that has aluminum angle. A similar argument could be made that I could cut down a tree in my back yard and mill up some 2x2's for free.

Now if you plan on keeping and using the boat for 20+ years, you will probably have to replace much of your wood--in which case the aluminum is a better long-term investment.

For me, wood was the right choice. I have a very tight budget; I'm OK if it doesn't last 20 years, as I only plan on using it a few seasons before I upgrade. When I upgrade, the boat will be worth less then the amount of money I have into it--so I would just assume that I take less of a hit on it, and build it as cost-effective now as possible.

In case I can't find an old extension ladder, I have priced square and L alum at the yard. Ouch! I know I will have to buy some but hoping to find some scrap for that as well.

The metal yard had a 10' shear and brake. Without those items, my floor would be a mess, and not have a water tight seal at the seam. For those with all the tools and experience, I am sure aluminum is easy for you to work with. Making boxes with just framing, sheet metal, and rivits, can be rather ugly. Allot of grinding and filing to clean up those sabre saw cuts. Covering it with carpet is not an option for me.

If you lend me a shear, brake, and a welder, I'll give it a shot and go all aluminum! ;)

If I had that sort of equipment I would build my own custom boat from the ground up, or is it from the water up :lol: If you seal your wood and take care of your boat properly the wood will outlast you and me both.

Seeing wood mods being added to aluminum boats that have stood the test of time for 40 or 50 years or longer makes me cringe.

welding anything into or on top of a tinboat is a bad idea. The boat will flex, the deck will flex, but the weld will not. screws/rivets are far better than welds. And I got one of them fancy TIG machines :mrgreen:

Welds beat rivets any day hands down. The best built boats in the world are welded, not riveted anymore. If built and welded correctly it will not flex enough to make any issues. I ran tugboats for many years and put stresses on them that would be hard to explain to everyday boaters and all our tugs were welded at every seam. I know I am talking steel now but it has the same principle.

If welded correctly, and you break something in your boat then my guess is you are doing something with that boat that you shouldn't be doing. I'm having a hard time imagining breaking welds unless you are intentionally ramming into things. Then you may as well just buy a tugboat and fish out of that.

Johny25 said:
Welds beat rivets any day hands down. The best built boats in the world are welded, not riveted anymore. If built and welded correctly it will not flex enough to make any issues. I ran tugboats for many years and put stresses on them that would be hard to explain to everyday boaters and all our tugs were welded at every seam. I know I am talking steel now but it has the same principle.

If welded correctly, and you break something in your boat then my guess is you are doing something with that boat that you shouldn't be doing. I'm having a hard time imagining breaking welds unless you are intentionally ramming into things. Then you may as well just buy a tugboat and fish out of that.

its not the same principle. Aluminum does not like to flex, steel does. welding a deck down in a riveted boat is a bad idea. You dont have to try to destroy a boat for the deck to flex. Run through some choppy water and watch a riveted boat.

gotmuddy said:
Johny25 said:

its not the same principle. Aluminum does not like to flex, steel does. welding a deck down in a riveted boat is a bad idea. You dont have to try to destroy a boat for the deck to flex. Run through some choppy water and watch a riveted boat.

Not if you weld to the ribs and gunnels.

I would NEVER own a welded aluminum deck, and I kind of snicker at those that do when they want add mods or accessories.

I want to be able to easily remove and reinstall my decking so I can make below deck repairs if needed, periodic inspections and cleaning, and add or remove accessories easily.

There will always be issues that need to be addressed below deck and it always seems that these issues pop up more frequently when access is the hardest.

jigngrub said:
I would NEVER own a welded aluminum deck, and I kind of snicker at those that do when they want add mods or accessories.

I want to be able to easily remove and reinstall my decking so I can make below deck repairs if needed, periodic inspections and cleaning, and add or remove accessories easily.

There will always be issues that need to be addressed below deck and it always seems that these issues pop up more frequently when access is the hardest.

I have an access hatch...2 as a matter of fact. Big enough to crawl in. My deck is spot welded in. You just have to plan correctly that's all....that and my boat isn't plugged with JB weld and 5200 to keep it floating.

But back to the original topic. It's almost like Coke or Pepsi...almost. If you have the resources, aluminum is usually the best choice...usually. But you can get great results with wood. The main thing is take your time in the planning stages and think things through thoroughly.

Del Corbin said:
Seeing wood mods being added to aluminum boats that have stood the test of time for 40 or 50 years or longer makes me cringe.

And I am sure the folks with wooden boats that have stood the test of time for 40 or 50 years would find that statement funny. ;)

Jdholmes said:
And I am sure the folks with wooden boats that have stood the test of time for 40 or 50 years would find that statement funny. ;)

I would gather that you have never done much with wooden boats. Wooden boats are very labor intensive. Very. Owners of those boats will very often spend as much, or more time maintaining them as they do using the boats in the water. For those that own them and enjoy them, it is a labor of love.

We are talking painting or varnishing the hull and topsides, every season, and the superstructure every 2-3. Caulking constantly. Even having to remove and re-bed critical hardware (cleats and such), to prevent water intrusion, every few years.

I'm not saying I blame them. The end result with wooden boats is absolutely gorgeous, and for those that have the time, that sort of maintenance and such can be a relaxing way to kill a weekend. If I ever found myself in a position that granted me much free time, and the desire to spend every second of free time chasing little green fish ever waned, I'd own a wooden boat in a heartbeat.

But, the moral of this story is that comparing longevity of a 50 year old aluminum boat to that of a 50 year old wooden boat is not at all a fair comparison.

Oh I understand all too well the labor involved...just the comment of seeing wood on an aluminum boat that ha survived 50 years making someone cringe stuck me as funny...as though wood would not survive the same test of time. Wood is beautiful and long lasting when properly cared for...

My family had a 27' little sailboat that was a lot of maintenance - it does take work, but it certainly doesn't make me cringe to think about putting the wood on an aluminum boat.

Aluminum is great, and like I have said before if I had the money I would do the whole framing with it and probably will someday. But nothing beats the warmth and beauty of wood for the bits that you see - it is much more visually appealing than a metal surface and can last a good long time properly cared for.

Threads like this prove to me over and over that variety truly is the spice of life. Some guys prefer the look and feel of wood and others find beauty in metal. I'm glad we have options!!

i went with alumimum in my boat.It is a 1648 alumacraft and i put .63 traed plate for flooring with foam between the ribs and i use .125 alumimum plate for the deck extention.I just decided not to put ply wood init as it wood need replacement down the road.ALUMimum cost more but yopu figure doing it once is worth something over plywood needing tobe done over and over.I leave my boat outside uncover sometimes and rain does not harm alumimum and it does plywood

I like to be in bare feet in my boat and aluminum just does not like bare feet. I like the feel and look of wood plus a little fuzzy carpet. My son and I tie off under a tree and take naps in the boat during the mid day fishing slowdown. I couldn't imagine doing this on an aluminum deck ugh. The sound of the waves lapping the boat is really nice also :) Makes me want to take a nap right now lol

Johny25 said:
I like to be in bare feet in my boat and aluminum just does not like bare feet. I like the feel and look of wood plus a little fuzzy carpet. My son and I tie off under a tree and take naps in the boat during the mid day fishing slowdown. I couldn't imagine doing this on an aluminum deck ugh. The sound of the waves lapping the boat is really nice also :) Makes me want to take a nap right now lol

Hydroturf! ;-)

$80 for a 3'X5' piece! Would cost me over $400 just to do my little 14ft boat, no thank you :lol: