yamaha 2 stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanky6510f

Reaction score
Whoo Hoo!!!!! Just finished breaking in a new 25hp yamaha 2 stroke. I got one of the last ones left around my area ( at least with the electric start). My old Duracraft is a rocket now. At 6200 rpm I'm getting 30 mph out of a 1536. Kinda scary fast in turns on that narrow bottom. Problem is , when i set the trim so I dont bury the bow at speed, it tends to blow the prop when I drop the hammer on it. Would one of those hydrofoils help control this? Kinda twitchy about drilling holes in a cav plate when I've only got 12 hours on the motor. Also, are there any known glitches with the yamahas that I can deal with now? I've been running evirudes for so long that I already know what spares to tote for them, but tnis is a new ballgame.
And one last question, can someone link me to a prop pitch site because I'd like to get the rpms down to 5500.

We're in the same boat figuratively speaking. I just finished breaking in my new Yamaha 2-stroke 25 and just love it. Before you invest in anything else I'd take a look at adjusting the trim rod and/or taking a look at the weight distribution in the boat. A 1536 ought to be able to handle a 25-hp without having to add a hydrofoil. As for carrying anything other than the standard stuff, as far as I know it should be about the same as any 2-stroke.

Thanks for the input Deadmeat. Mine came with a 9 7/8 x 11 1/4 prop and it just seems that 6200 rpm is a little too much. The manual calls for the 25hp @ 5500 and if I go to a 14" pitch that'll put me pretty close. I'm an auto tech by trade, but not sure if I should prop it to spin @ 6000 or 5500. Which one would give the best top end? Hole shot is most definitley NOT a problem. Tossing a 12lb danforth off of the bow seat onto a $50 pair of bill dance glasses is another matter. $^%^%^&. Live and learn I suppose. Don't tie anchor brackets down with tie-ties. Oh well, maybe I can talk wifey into buying me a new pair for my birthday. I've shifted stuff all over the boat (except for batteries, which are in boxes mounted to the floor) and got it better about blowing the prop until i put the old lady on board. The problem seems to be that about 6000 rpm the whole dadgum boat wants to jump out of the water and run flat as a pancake. Which is great up until I hit a big wake and all of a sudden it's trying to bow steer . Looks like a clown on crack driving then. Been dreaming about a new hull for a couple of years anyway, may as well swing for the fences. I'd like to have a 1648 flat front jon so I can put decks and lockers on it.

Sorry, but props are something I don't know diddly about. I have no idea what the pitch is on the one that came with my motor, but it works just fine so I don't worry about it. I've got a G3 1544 and it gets it down the lake quite nicely. But then again, I almost never run it more than half throttle. I don't tournament fish so I don't care much about what does in a hole shot. I had a little problem redistributing the weight once I added a front deck, but once I played around with the tilt lever and moved the batteries and gas can around I never had any more problems.

Latest posts