Yamaha 6hp problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat83

Reaction score
New to the site and there seems to be a lot of good people with good advice so here's my problem: I have a 6hp yamaha outboard, I believe its a 1993, it's in great condition and starts on the first or second pull but I have to it at half choke to keep it idiling. I can only take the choke off after I put it in gear and start moving and when I want to come to a stop I have to put the choke half on again or the motor will shut off. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Have you checked the fuel lines and primer bulb for an air leak?Does the primer bulb get firm after a couple pumps?It should get very firm.The primer bulb should be pointing up not across.The fuel lines should have just enough slack to allow the engine to turn without pulling on the fuel line.The fuel pump is very weak to keep from over powering the carb float.If there is any small air leak in the line, the pump will have a hard time suppling fuel at low rpms.It could also be dirty carb(s),or the fuel/air valve is out of adjustment.Have you tried changing spark plugs,fuel/air filters, if your motor has them?So motors have them some do not.Mine has no filters.

Sounds like it could be a clogged low speed circuit (idle Circuit) in the carb. I would start by cleaning the carb paying close attention to the small orfices located in the throat and body of the carb.

dreadinger said:
Sounds like it could be a clogged low speed circuit (idle Circuit) in the carb. I would start by cleaning the carb paying close attention to the small orfices located in the throat and body of the carb.

This was my thought when I mentioned the carb cleaning.A good cleaning should remedy this problem.

Thanks for the info I figure the carb needs to be cleaned up real well. The bulb and lines all seem to be ok, I'll work on it this winter and hope for the best when spring comes.