Your bottom feeder status??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know this qualifies are not,

I wanted a 2nd FF for the front of the boat for when I was trolling around. Was looking at a new Garmin Echo 200, dual scan & it came with a transom and trolling motor mount. Found it on Amazon for $136 BP wanted $159 +tax, just hadn't gotten around to pulling the trigger. Okay I was awaiting for approval from the CFO. I was looking through the Wanted to Sell on a couple of fishing forums and found a Garmin 160, works and a Garmin 240, transducer bad, same seller. Didn't have a price had make offer. Both units are discontinued and actually for the early 2000. Looked at the specs and offer the guy $35 for the working 160. He took my offer and offered me both units for $50 delivered. It would have been at least $45 with shipping so I took the deal.

With a little research I find that both units use the same transducer. Only got one power cable but I ended up with FF for $50 with a backup head unit. Not dual scan but I can still learn how to use a FF then upgrade in the future. Both these units have temp which the Eagle on the back doesn't have.

does this count for bottom feeder status
14 ft 84 fisher 30 horse evinrude stick steer fish finder an trailer for 300
70 after getting motor going new seats an paint

Attachments

• 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 637
Not boat relayed but I guess I count as a low low bottom feeder.

Was look for a XJ Jeep just to wheel. Found one about 30 mins away. They said they had put 4 fuel pumps in it and it still did not run it has Nate 4x4 custom bumper and a all most bald set of 35inch tire I went to look at it and tried to start it would run for a sec then died never heard the fuel pump kick on I talk the people down to 200 buck told them well got to go get a trailer from u haul. Went back with the trailer and a piece of wire to by pass the fuel pump resistor fired the jeep up and drove it on the trailer mind you I already had the sign title in my hands. People walking in the house and shut the door. Sold the jeep a year later for 3500 bucks.

Also had 3 fuel pump that was brand new sold on eBay for 100 buck each.

This ones not boating or for big money. I was in Dicks sporting goods and saw they had some ammo on clearance. I bought 2 boxes of Winchester 270 wsm for .99¢ a box. Winchester had a rebate of $5.00 a box. I ended up with 2 boxes of ammo and $8.00 in my pocket and I don't even own a rifle chambered for this round.

Bought my 1983 80 h.p. Mercury off an add on craigslist. Would up giving seller $300.00 for a fiberglass tri hull, with the 80 and a nice galvanized trailer. Stripped the tri hull of all usable items, controls, helm, gas tank, bilge,etc. hauled it to the local land fill on its trailer, drug it off the trailer and went home and loaded my Jon on the trailer. Tinkered with the 80 for about 30 minutes and had it running. To this day all I have done to the motor is change plugs and rebuilt the fuel pump, it runs like a champ.

Not sure the term bottom feeder is correct. I prefer to think of myself as frugle.

I recycle aluminum to pay for bait.
We have biannual city wide clean up days. Its amazing what people throw away.
Scored numerous things over the years. Most end up as materials I need for an upcoming project.
I also barter, recent score is a practically brand new push mower for fixing a gas powered edge trimmer. Mower is 2 years old, but never been used.
Heck, check out my build thread linked in my signature, old used Coleman cooler is my livewell. Trailer I pulled out of the ditch and rebuilt.

I could go on and on.
I learned to rebuild, maintain stuff because it was cheaper than paying someone else.
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I remodeled the bathroom, stripped it down to the studs, hung the drywall, ran the electrical, plumbing, laid the tile, even built the cabinets myself.

Hanr3 said:
Not sure the term bottom feeder is correct. I prefer to think of myself as frugle.

I recycle aluminum to pay for bait.
We have biannual city wide clean up days. Its amazing what people throw away.
Scored numerous things over the years. Most end up as materials I need for an upcoming project.
I also barter, recent score is a practically brand new push mower for fixing a gas powered edge trimmer. Mower is 2 years old, but never been used.
Heck, check out my build thread linked in my signature, old used Coleman cooler is my livewell. Trailer I pulled out of the ditch and rebuilt.

I could go on and on.
I learned to rebuild, maintain stuff because it was cheaper than paying someone else.
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I remodeled the bathroom, stripped it down to the studs, hung the drywall, ran the electrical, plumbing, laid the tile, even built the cabinets myself.

People need to learn to have pride in the work like yourself and people would have a lot more things that they would not have to spend an arm and a leg for.

harleydoc said:
People need to learn to have pride in the work like yourself and people would have a lot more things that they would not have to spend an arm and a leg for.

I realize some are not mechanically inclined and have to pay others for their services. My two sons for example. Son #1 doesn't like to get his hands dirty, and manual labor is not on his agenda. I told him a long time ago that he needed a career where he made enough so he could pay others to do the manual labor. He heeded the message and became a defense lawyer, his wife is in the process of completing her Master in Income Taxes.

#2 son doesnt mind manual labor, however that is not his choosen career as well. He became an Electrical engineer, and his wife is a Nurse. They do things themselves and put hte money to use for other things.

Me, I put a bug in their ears to buy some hunting land for dear ole dad. :mrgreen:
I offered to build the cabin. Buddy of mine sells Log Cabin homes, I should be able to get a good deal. Then again I may just put up a 30x30 garage and frame in 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them.

Having said all that, just taking care of things will make them last a lifetime. I have numerous millionaire aunts/uncles who you would never suspect by looking at them. There day to day clothes are outdated, they never buy new cars, their house is modest, etc. They are your typical millionaire next door. Just imagine how much money you could save by not replaceing things, buying used or last years model. Might be enough to build that cabin in the woods. Knowing myself, I would build that cabin out of material I bought or scrounged over a coupe of years.

This year I remodel the Kitchen, building a base cabinet and wall cabinet per month. Once there done, I'll strip the kitchen, put in a floor, task lighting, etc. We will start collecting the materials as they go on sale or we find them in the classifieds. Next year, daddy gets a new boat. :mrgreen:

Got an awesome email from Harleydoc.

To be clear, I am not offended by harleydoc post. Actually flattered by it. I do scrounge through others peoples junk. As the saying goes, one mans junk is anothers treasure. My wife gives me crap all the time about being a cheap bast***. She tells me she has an image to maintain.

I gather there could be the impression I am poor. I grew up dirt poor. Today, lets just say, I am frugal by choice. Our budget is such that we can live on $13 per hour. That is by choice. We make considerable more than that.
In the 10 years we have lived in this 3 bedroom brick ranch with attached 2 car garage on 1/3 acre city lot we have replaced the roof, replaced all 9 windows with low-e double hung and an 8' bay window, new carpet, 2 sets of living room furniture, one set went in the basement man cave I built with full kitchen, home beer on tap, slate pool table, craft table, wood burning stove, remodeled the laundry room, remodeled the basement 1/2 bath, built in loft bed in the 3rd bedroom, dining table that seats 12, new master bedroom set, new 98% high effeciency furnance and high effeciency central a/c, and the list goes on. All paid for with cash.

This year besides remodeling the bathroom, I also installed a 8x20' paver block front patio with steps. A guy from work was removing it and asked if I knew anybody that wanted the bricks/blocks, all free. All I had to do was haul it away. 36,000 pounds later it was at my house. Granted I had to buy a tamper, road gravel, sand, and $100 in gas. I think I spent about $300 on the project. I have enough materials to build a 8x20 patio in the back yard too.

I am frugal, or if you ask my wife a cheap bast***. She sure didn't complain about the patio or bathroom though. Doing all teh work myself, including hand making the cabinets, the bathroom cost me right at $1,700, cash. To me, those are great accomplishments and things to be proud of, especially considering I have been laid-off, off and on since 2008. One day I too hope to be the millionaire next door. :mrgreen:

Does this count?
My nephew was getting ready to haul this off for scrap, said he got it as an add on through some trading he was doing and didn't want it. So a lot of cleaning and a little carb work, oh yea I had to haul off the garbage in it. It is a 1236 Alumacraft (I think)with a 1975 6hp Evinrude. I love it, I've had bigger glass boats and thought they were more trouble than they were worth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 281
Congratulations to all here that know how to play the "GAME"! =D>
I've saved a ton of money by learning to do things myself, and being a little "frugal".

A penny saved is a penny earned!!!!!
One example is when two seals needed to be replaced between the trans. and transfer case on a dodge truck. $14.00 worth of parts, $850.00 for labor. A buddy and I did it for the $14.00; that's a lot of pennies!
Here's a biggie: built a 32x48' garage that would have been around 60K, for around 30K.
A lot of work, but + 30K: I like!!!!!! Better in my pocket! :D

One of my favorites >
A fool and their money are soon parted!!!!!!!!!!!
Also proud to be a bottom feeder!