Your thoughts on catching spawners...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bAcKpAiN said:
As far as I know there is absolutely no law against targeting bass during the spawn whatsoever in PA. The only law is catch and immediate release and no tournaments are allowed. If a CO wants to give you a hard time they have no legal grounds unless you are keeping them or maybe keeping out of water for an extended period. It is such a touchy issue amongst outdoorsman I wouldn't be surprised if there are CO's that would try to harrass people out of the practice based on their own personal opinions.

you need to check the rules:
NOTE: It is not a violation of the bass regulations if a bass is immediately returned unharmed to the waters from which it was taken. It is unlawful for an angler to cast repeatedly into a clearly visible bass spawning nest or redd in an effort to catch or take bass.

You all are going to HATE me for this one.My partner and I fish a tourny the 1st weekend in May,Usually during the spawn.And,YES,we target bedding bass, when we find them.There, I said it and have no shame in it.When there is over $1,000 on the line,anything goes.SORRY, Steve.

bass fishing has been around for many years with people fishing bedding bass. Before B A SS catch and release was never a thought.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it . we have guys in this area that try to guilt guys into not keeping anything they catch.
This comes down to a personal choice and seams to aways stir the kettle when it comes up

redbug said:
bass fishing has been around for many years with people fishing bedding bass. Before B A SS catch and release was never a thought.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it . we have guys in this area that try to guilt guys into not keeping anything they catch.
This comes down to a personal choice and seams to aways stir the kettle when it comes up

Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find anywhere in the regs about it. Must have missed the note.

Up here, Mich. they are still on there beds when season openS and most anglers hit them hard, though there is alot of them who do catch and release. I personaly do not intentionly take them off the beds for the same reason everyone else doesn't, THE FISH POPULATION.

Over here in Idaho most of the fishery managers are not for the non-native species of fish including bass. There arent many areas accross the state that open and close seasons according to the spawning activities. Trout on the other hand are top priority. We do have some great areas here for them. But the way I look at it, with global warming goin on, trout are on there way out. Bass are next in line. Its only man made evolution.

I was just talking about this with a co-worker. I don't target them, but if I catch a big female, I'll feel really bad putting it in my livewell, (except if I win big bass or the tournament).

If I'm fun fishing, I stay away from the bass beds.

Brine said:
Well, I guess I'll be the unpopular one.

I absolutely love sight fishing for bedding bass.
your not alone i do the same thing u can spend 30 minutes or even an hour trying to catch a fish of its bed because the dont take the bait and swollow it they will sit there and take there nose and push it off and they do that for a long time then next thell start putting it in there mouth but theyll only bite the back of it and i will let them do that 3 or 4 times ad theni will take my worm and cut some of it off and ill throw it out there and they will bitte and and you got them :wink: i dont thinkit really bad fishing on the beds because we got so many bass here that 1 fish really isnt gonna hutrt anything but if im fishing in a pond or something i wont fish the beds unless the pond is LOADED with bass