Zincs For Hull Protection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampaige

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of correcting some serious corrosion issues I found in a 1994 16' Starcraft I purchased last month. The hull had over 70 pin holes from corrosion and the transom is SEVERELY corroded with holes up to 3" in length in some spots. From the little I know, the previous owners used the boat in salt water. I will also be using it primarily in salt water, as well. I'd like to get some aluminum "zincs" to protect the boat from further damage. I'm looking for information on where and how to install these anodes on my boat.

Does shape or style and/or install location matter as long as there is enough anode there to sacrifice enough electrons?

Not really. As long as you have them attached to your hull. Your outboard should have them too. If you don't see any, replace them. I do mine every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampaige said:
Does shape or style and/or install location matter as long as there is enough anode there to sacrifice enough electrons?
Don't go too big, as 'more is NOT more' with zincs, as you can over-protect. Better to have a smaller one wear half away. I myself use the 1/2 a 'rudder' zinc (sold as 2 pieces) measuring maybe 2-1/2" across and so far so good!

Keep the area of the hull it will be fastened to clean and I sand the backside of the zinc to ensure it sits with full contact against the hull.

Latest posts