12ft Alumacraft project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishnFlorida

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to all this so excuse me. :mrgreen: I have a question on my 12 ft jon boat. I'm thinking I want to do some mods, but I don't know if the mods will make the boat slow down alot and add alot of extra weight that will be too much for the engine....stuff like that! It's a 2007 12ft Alumacraft with a 5hp Tohatsu. Guys got any ideas? I'll post pictures soon. :D Any help is greatly appreciated!

I deck mine out with preasure treated plywood. People tole me it would be to heavy but it wsn't. Actually the extra weight helps in the wind. I don't get blown all over the place like I would if I used aluminum. Good luck.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! What are the specs and weight capacities on your boat (there should be a plate stamped on).

Once we (you) know those numbers, the members can give you some awesome ideas for yours!

Jim :D

The specs on it are 3 persons or 395 lbs. 540 lbs, persons, motor, gear. With the mods I was thinking of putting a deck from the front bench to the middle bench. If not that, a small deck from the front bench that goes halfway. Also maybe some floors? Thanks guys :D

FishnFlorida said:
The specs on it are 3 persons or 395 lbs. 540 lbs, persons, motor, gear. With the mods I was thinking of putting a deck from the front bench to the middle bench. If not that, a small deck from the front bench that goes halfway. Also maybe some floors? Thanks guys :D

Either one of those mods will work without greatly effecting your speed or load capacity. Go for it!

FishnFlorida said:
Guys any tips on uploading pics? :?:

The easiest way is to upload them to photobucket, check off the option 800x600 then copy the link in between some IMG tags so it will look like this

And the picture will post.

Or if you want to upload them directly make sure your pictures are no bigger than 800x600 and under 150k in size then as you are posting you will see another box below that says upload attachment. browse to the file, add it and hit submit. You should be good.

If you need any help with it let me know.

Jim

Thanks. :D It gets in the way sometimes, but down here in Florida it gets hot. 8) So I planned some stuff out yesterday. For the floors of the boat, 1/2 inch plywood? And then for the deck, 3/4 inch?

FishnFlorida said:
Thanks. :D It gets in the way sometimes, but down here in Florida it gets hot. 8) So I planned some stuff out yesterday. For the floors of the boat, 1/2 inch plywood? And then for the deck, 3/4 inch?

That will work! :D

FishnFlorida said:

:WELCOME: aboard! Depending what kind of support you put underneath 3/4 inch might be overkill. I used 1/2 inch on my deck and it is rock solid. Especially in a 12' you want to avoid as much added weight as possible. I know PBW used 3/8 on his. Either way good luck and post pics as you go along.

Alright guys. Decision making time. Should I do the half deck from the front bench to halfway in between the middle bench as a casting deck? Or should I just build a deck from the front bench to the middle bench and put a swivel seat on it. I'm starting tomorrow! :mrgreen: Thanks guys. 8)

Latest posts