12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your boat is coming out nice! Ive been keeping an eye on your progress, nice job. I just picked up a 12' w/trailer myself. It came with some mods already (2 swivel chairs mounted on carpeted seats, large section of carpeted flooring...) How stable is the boat with (2) adults? I did the same thing and put mine in my pool and it was fine with me and by son.

VIDEO TIME!!!! my friend took this with his Go-Pro and finally got around to uploading it to youtube... here is the link! this is the first time i had it in the water after all my modifications.

https://youtu.be/zFMpe1QFsDI

let me know what you guys think! and dont laugh to hard at me... i was excited to take the boat out for the first time! lol

trueblue1970 said:
Your boat is coming out nice! Ive been keeping an eye on your progress, nice job. I just picked up a 12' w/trailer myself. It came with some mods already (2 swivel chairs mounted on carpeted seats, large section of carpeted flooring...) How stable is the boat with (2) adults? I did the same thing and put mine in my pool and it was fine with me and by son.

Thank you very much!!! my first "pool test" i had myself, my fiance, and her brother all in the boat and it was fine... thats when i decided it would be ok to do the modifications and add all that weight. with all the weight i added it is difficult to pick up and take to the lake but with two people its possible. as far as stability with two people... i love it! its not like being on an 18ft centerconsole... but it is really stable for what it is! i feel completely comfortable standing and fishing off the casting deck. do you have a build thread going? id love to see some pictures of what youve got!!!

tomorrow i am taking her out in a real lake with the outboard for the first time! ill let you all know how she does!!!! :)

Hey I like the video! It moves with the electric... I have a 9.9 outboard, but I think one day Ill justngo electric...much quieter, cleaner, easy starting.. I bet a 50lb thrust would have you planing and waking!

TheMaestro said:
Hey I like the video! It moves with the electric... I have a 9.9 outboard, but I think one day Ill justngo electric...much quieter, cleaner, easy starting.. I bet a 50lb thrust would have you planing and waking!

i love that 40lb trolling motor... free by the way! :) it works awesome for little ponds and lakes. but i would be lying if i said i am not super excited to see how the outboard works tomorrow!

My son and I both stood up and it wasnt bad...I wanted him to get used to the way it feels compared to our 16' we use on the intercoastal. Im going to have to take a few pics before I make any changes....Im def going to pick up a 53 thrust Minn Kota this week at Gander..they are on sale (rebate). Cant use gas on the local freshwater here, which I dont mind.

so today didnt go quite the way we had planned! haha... we were going to go bass and catfish fishing on base with my fiance and i on my boat and her dad and brother on their boat. well i am not military and her dad and brother are so we were going to use her brothers truck to pull my boat on base. meet time was 5:45am... weather was perfect!!! just one problem... her brother decided to go out last night drinking and didnt show up till 7am!!! so needless to say we were all a little frazzled... we decided to switch tactics and headed out for the intercoastal! a little salt water fishing for "buckshots" first trip out with an outboard engine. everything was awesome! engine ran great... boat was great... my fiance was great... we even tried popping out in the ocean cause it was super calm! we changed our minds pretty quick though and went back in the inlet and fished by the bridge. caught a bunch of flounder, a speckled trout, some spanish mackerel, and a couple of blues! all in all a pretty great day! :)

tin72.jpg

tin82.jpg
tin76.jpg
tin75.jpg
tin77.jpg

tin80.jpg
tin74.jpgtin79.jpg
tin78.jpg

tin70.jpg
tin71.jpg
tin69.jpg

Nice! Not a bad fishing day at all... Im in Florida and fish the intercoastal with our 16'...not sure Id take my 12' jon out there though, especially on the weekend. Those yachts cant throw a nice wake, your a brave guy!

trueblue1970 said:
Nice! Not a bad fishing day at all... Im in Florida and fish the intercoastal with our 16'...not sure Id take my 12' jon out there though, especially on the weekend. Those yachts cant throw a nice wake, your a brave guy!

what part of Florida are you in? i am born and raised floridian! and yes... the intercoastal in west palm/ft lauderdale area gets crazy! but there is also minimum wake speed zones down there. the place i took my boat out yesterday was all no wake. but ya it was a little sketchy a couple times on my little boat! lol...

heres another video... just a short one of us crusing in Rudee Inlet back to the boat ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIwBMRBGCE&feature=youtu.be

Nice! Im in Palm Coast...between St Augustine and Daytona. Plenty of fishing down here...love it. Im thinking about using mine in the skinnys now that I see how yours handled and after speaking with a couple of guys. Wanted to get out today but it keep raining...

That little Eska putts along real nice! Thats a cute match for your rig. In the last video, what is the white pole/rod beside the motor?
(Also, thanks for not including any footage of you in a speedo :mrgreen: )

Gators5220 said:
Nice work on those flounder & spanish macks...

thank you! we were pulling in flounder left and right but they were all under limit size! i cant seem to find anything bigger than 17inches? need a new spot! lol..

trueblue1970 said:
Nice! Im in Palm Coast...between St Augustine and Daytona. Plenty of fishing down here...love it. Im thinking about using mine in the skinnys now that I see how yours handled and after speaking with a couple of guys. Wanted to get out today but it keep raining...

i will fish the inlets and intercoastal waterways anytime with my outboard! i definitely recommend it! and i am very jealous of the fishing where you live! i miss it...

TheMaestro said:
That little Eska putts along real nice! Thats a cute match for your rig. In the last video, what is the white pole/rod beside the motor?
(Also, thanks for not including any footage of you in a speedo :mrgreen: )

i still havent gotten to test it out at full throttle for more than a few seconds but it idles and starts very well! i love how the motor is a 74 and so is the boat! the white pole is the trolling motor. i have it tilted up when im not using it. it works great to have both the trolling motor and the outboard. i just use the outboard to get from point A to B and then use the trolling motor to maneuver around.

haha... i was just about to put up a picture of me in a speedo! lol... :)

I cant complain about the fishing. Im sure its just as good where you are now....

Funny on the speedo comment lol...but dont think your getting away with sneaking in a bikini shot of the other half! lol.....

Latest posts