12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 12 ft river boat is a Delhi.

Googling my way around, found this, a segment of a history by a guy who worked for them.

Here's all I have:

Our aluminum boats were the biggest sellers nationally and as I said earlier, their production was continued. We made aluminum boats for Bass Pro Shops, Bass Tracker, Sears, Montgomery Wards, and several other companies. Our aluminum boats were amongst the best "store chainline" boats ever built. The aluminum we used was thicker than anyone elses. As in our high end glass boats quality was our goal. In the glass boats we did things like put an .004 thick extra coat of clear gel to protect the paint and metal flake from UHV (fading), small scratches, and make the boat easier to clean and keep clean. We were very proud of our hatch and live well door hinges. If you noticed, they were chrome plated and held in place by bolts with self locking nuts. Ranger, and the rest used those cheap, stamped "piano" hinges that were hard to tighten and harder to replace. We used a better grade of pumps in our live wells and bilges, and much more. We even sprayed over the exposed fiberglass in the fuel compartment with clear gel.

However, we continued manufacturing aluminum boats and put other company's names on them. For instance, Bass Tracker, Sears, and several others.

I left the company. It was a real shame, but 35% of America's boat mfg. companies went out of business over that 2 year period. When Terry/Delhi cut back it wiped out the little town of Delhi, La., pop. about 1700, many of which were employed at our plant.

Have fun. Neat lil boat. :)

that is pretty neat! that explains why the Sears Jon boat looks identical to my boat!

i found a little bit also... apparently they were the first to build the "tracker" boat also!

“We got all the prototypes in, looked them all over, put motors on them, and ran them,” Campbell said. “Finally, we decided that Delhi had made the best boat. We built about 50 boats to start with and equipped them with 35 horsepower Johnson motors.”

according to this website: https://www.trackerboats.com/pressroom/387-Jon-Boat-to-Bass-Boat--How-TRACKER-Revolutionized-an-Industry.cfm

do you have a link with pictures to your boat?

Here you go, a thread from TinBoats, and a couple of other images.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25858&start=15

12ftdelhileftside4-23-12.jpg

Most recent
elphinrightsidewith3hp.jpg

12ftinpecsideviewreflections.jpg

mickstandinginbow2.jpg

J.P. said:
inlovewithsurfin said:
the guy i bought the boat from has an old 5hp outboard that he will sell me for $100 but it doesnt run right now. he says all i need to do is rebuild the carbs and it will be good to go. i am an automotive mechanic so i have no problem rebuilding the carbs. i just hope thats all thats wrong with it! but for $100 i guess its worth the risk?
aside from the carb rebuild, it could be wise to check/replace the impeller, spark plugs, gear oil and fuel lines before taking it to the water. good luck. looking forward to more photos.

yes definitely! i am an automotive mechanic but never worked on an outboard motor? but the basics like spark plugs, oil, fuel lines i should be ok with... how about the impeller? do i just want to make sure a good stream of water is shooting out?

ok so tomorrow after work i am going to do a few quick modifications to the boat... then my girl and i are going to take "buckshot" out on her first actual fishing voyage. my buddy lives on a decent size private lake so i can take the boat out without being registered. ill let you all know how it does and hopefully have some new pictures with bass to show!

also... "buckshot" is the boats name because there are several bullet holes in the boat and it looks like someone shot it with a shotgun :)

some new additions and new pictures...

i got a bilge pump today to help with the very small leak my boat has. looks awesome and works amazing!!! :)

tin25.jpg
tin26.jpg
tin28.jpg
tin27.jpg
tin30.jpg

i also put together a battery hold down... just 2x4 for now. will be carpeted later.

tin29.jpg

heres a nice shot of my Bronco and Buckshot at the local bait store...

tin31.jpg

and here is us out on the water! :)

tin34.jpg
tin38.jpg

my hottie fiance making my boat look good! :)
tin36.jpg
tin35.jpg

home made cooler livewell

tin37.jpg

diabetik11 said:
just wondering but how the heck do you see your boat when you back it into the water?

haha... very funny cause its true! all i can see in my mirrors while driving down the road is just the top of the back seat and thats it! lol... backing up i can see out the back window and when i sit up tall i can see most of the boat/trailer

well... i did it! i went out and bought an outboard for $100!! the guy told me it is a 5hp and that it ran great the last time he used it... that was several years ago. i did a little research and found out that it is a 1974 ESKA 7hp not 5hp... which i am super happy about :) anyone know anything about ESKA outboards? anyone have one? also... before i put some fuel in it and try to start it up what are some other things i should check? i am planning on cleaning/rebuilding the carb but after that i have no idea what else to do?

anyways... heres some pictures!

tin39.jpg
tin40.jpg

my fiance "working" on the boat with me...
tin41.jpg

tin42.jpg
tin43.jpg

theyyounggun said:
Was that a bass pro shops crappie max I spie in your rod holder? 8)

thats a very good eye you have there! haha... i have that paired with a 6ft bass pro light weight rod ($10) plus the reel = $30 total and i love it! :)

Youre making great progress! I bet the motor will provide enough power.... What did you use to cut the bilge hole? Im thinking about installing one, but am fretting over making the hole... Keep the pics coming! (of the boat, of course :roll: )

inlovewithsurfin said:
theyyounggun said:

thats a very good eye you have there! haha... i have that paired with a 6ft bass pro light weight rod ($10) plus the reel = $30 total and i love it! :)
Haha.. Mine is on a uncle mikes 5' 6" ultra light. I LOVE it.

TheMaestro said:
Youre making great progress! I bet the motor will provide enough power.... What did you use to cut the bilge hole? Im thinking about installing one, but am fretting over making the hole... Keep the pics coming! (of the boat, of course :roll: )

well the fitting says "Fits 3/4in hole" but all i had was a 1in hole saw... i held the two up to eachother and finally said "screw it!" and drilled the hole haha... it fits perfectly! i am glad i installed the bilge although after i plugged most of the holes i didnt really have much of a need for a pump! it still leaks but just a tiny bit... so after an hour or so the bilge is kinda needed? i got a 500gph bilge pump from bass pro for $20 and the fitting was $3.99 i think? and i used a piece of rubber hose i had laying around. much cheaper than the $40 kit at walmart! :)

ok... so here is a video of the outboard today!!! all i did was cleaned a little rust out of the gas can, replaced the old fuel line.... added gas and she started and ran for me!!! :) i am soo stoked that i have a working outboard for $100! i opened the carb bowl and it was completely spotless and the rubber gaskets were in good shape so i just put it back together and left it alone. im gonna run some seafoam thru it (miracle worker) and hopefully it will run like a scalded dog!!! :)

here is the video:

https://youtu.be/caJ_aBKHkAY

feel free to let me know what you think! also... i know the engine is air cooled but from what i understand there is a water pump that cools the exhaust? should i be able to see water spitting out somewhere or does that all take place underneath of the water? id like to know whether my impeller is bad or not before i go tearing apart the lower unit to replace it? anyone know anything about these old ESKA motors?

theyyounggun said:
inlovewithsurfin said:
theyyounggun said:

Haha.. Mine is on a uncle mikes 5' 6" ultra light. I LOVE it.

ive got an Ugly Stick 5'6'' ultra light with 4lb mono thats my main pole! :)

The waterpump appearantly is designed to work only when you are in gear. Unless its actually a 3 or 5hp in which case there is no pump. But the 7hp does have one, again only works when gear is engaged. Thats all I know...

TheMaestro said:
The waterpump appearantly is designed to work only when you are in gear. Unless its actually a 3 or 5hp in which case there is no pump. But the 7hp does have one, again only works when gear is engaged. Thats all I know...

oh sweet! thats what i thought? i was scared that it was broke cause it wasnt pumping in neutral but that makes sense cause if the prop shaft isnt spinning then what would spin the impeller? so i think that my outboard is ready to roll the way it is! :) just need to pressure wash it, sand/paint it and im going to change the gear oil in the lower unit just as a precautionary!

i got my temporary registration at DMV today so hopefully i can take her out in a real lake and use the outboard this weekend!!! im so excited to see how she does!

Your enthusiasm is contagious and a delight.

I wish you many years of happy and fulfilling boating and fishing.

(You do know, don't you, that you now are embarking on a life-long addiction of sorts? :) )