12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kismet said:
Your enthusiasm is contagious and a delight.

I wish you many years of happy and fulfilling boating and fishing.

(You do know, don't you, that you now are embarking on a life-long addiction of sorts? :) )

haha... my fiance says "your addicted!!!" lol... i grew up fishing all my life in south florida and my dad has always had a boat. but now i FINALLY have my OWN boat and i want nothing more than to make it amazing and enjoy using it to the fullest! thank you for the well wishes and im glad i can pass on some of my excitement to others! :)

so a couple new additions to "Buckshot"... nothing major yet but some plans are in effect for this week!

i added a couple handles to the back of the boat to help with loading/unloading. also... my trolling motor fasteners have to be tightened all the way with no threads left when i mount it to the transom. so i decided that with the addition of the new outboard i should add a little girth to the transom. its not finished yet. i need to seal the wood and the holes i drilled but its mocked up an in place for now.

tin44.jpg

tin45.jpg

Rattle can paint works really well, especially if you get the kind with the new nozzles that allow you to spray continuosly and in any direction incl upside down. For your hull, Id recommend painting with a good brush. Check out my build when I painted or check out Chitownbasser 's build here for his paintjob done rattle can and hand painted: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23613

You gotta get the name Buckshot on it, and maybe some decals of bullet holes around the name...that would look sweeeet! You did a really nice job on your mod, exact,y the right amount for a boat taht size IMO.... =D>

TheMaestro said:
You gotta get the name Buckshot on it, and maybe some decals of bullet holes around the name...that would look sweeeet! You did a really nice job on your mod, exact,y the right amount for a boat taht size IMO.... =D>

very funny you should say that... cause i already had the decal made up! :) a buddy of mine just started his own decal company and made this up for me! just gotta find a place to put it? its a bigger than i thought it would be and wont fit on the back. i am thinking about making am aluminum plate to stick it on and putting it on the casting deck?

tin49.jpg

TheMaestro said:
Awesome!!!!!!!! Id put on the side, closer to the bow. Wow thats such a cool design incorporating the bullet hole in the 'o'.... Youre gonna turn heads with your rig!

thank you! i cant wait... just hope the fish like it as much as i do! :)

heres a question?... i see people talking about the size of their boat in 4 digits? like 1232... i know the 12 stands for length and the 32 im assuming is width? but where are they measuring the width? the width of the floor? or the width from one rail to the other?

theyyounggun said:
Im really liking your trailer. Do you have any problems with the boat moving around any?

no problems what-so-ever with movement... i have it ratchet strapped on the front hook and then ratchet strapped across the whole back. the only problem i have is with the 13in wheels/tires and the light weight it tends to bounce when i hit bumps more than id like it to! also the boat has gotten pretty heavy and loading/unloading with just me and my fiance is a pretty difficult task. so i may put a crank winch up front? but i still want to have the flat bottom for when i want to trailer my motorcycle or anything else. the trailer is a tilt trailer but it doesnt tilt all that easy? i dont know if the weight needs to be distributed further back behind the axle or what?

ok... TONS of new pictrues!!! did alot of work today!!! here we go...

so i finally got around to making that front storage hatch...

tin52.jpg
tin53.jpg
tin54.jpg
tin66.jpg
tin65.jpg
tin55.jpg
tin56.jpg
tin57.jpg

then i started work on pole holders...
tin58.jpg
tin60.jpg

and the finished product... (for now! haha)

tin59.jpg
tin62.jpg
tin63.jpg

i made some storage for my trolling motor and outboard in the back of my bronco :)

tin51.jpg
tin64.jpg

TheMaestro said:
Yup....youre definitely ADDICTED! Good job on the storage... Now on to your lighting system.... ;y

yes!!! i need bow/stern lights and also a courtesy light and some boat lights so i can see what i am doing at night

.... and then a fish finder is in the works! :)

also scored this for FREE today... anyone know anything about these? is it worth my time to clean up and mount to my boat or would it be just as good if not better to rig a mount up front for my transom mount trolling motor thats alot newer and nicer looking?

tin67.jpg

inlovewithsurfin said:
TheMaestro said:

very funny you should say that... cause i already had the decal made up! :) a buddy of mine just started his own decal company and made this up for me! just gotta find a place to put it? its a bigger than i thought it would be and wont fit on the back. i am thinking about making am aluminum plate to stick it on and putting it on the casting deck?

Nice logo. If he is a pro, he has reduction capabilities and the materials are almost a non-factor in single color work. Tell him it is too big and give him the above-waterline specs. He'll crank one out easily. He wants to see it, and maybe have a picture for promotional work, anyway.

Nice.

inlovewithsurfin said:
also scored this for FREE today... anyone know anything about these? is it worth my time to clean up and mount to my boat or would it be just as good if not better to rig a mount up front for my transom mount trolling motor thats alot newer and nicer looking?

It would take up a TON of floor space when not in use.

been doing a little work in the past couple days... i changed the gear oil in the lower unit on my outboard (it was bone dry) and in the process i saw that the propeller was a little loose. so i took off the cotter pin and retaining nut to clean the threads before tightening it back up. found that the shear pin was broke in two pieces and that the retaining nut was plastic and stripped out! haha... put in a new shear pin and used a METAL lock nut and its all good as new!

hoping to get out and see how the engine pushes the little boat around this weekend!