12ft mirrocraft simple mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
Hi all im a fairly new guy here... I have become addicted to this forum :D I have recently done a few simple (crude) Mods to my 12ft mirrocraft. I live in Erie and use the boat for duck hunting all winter so i had to make it easy to clean and most parts had to be removable.... I also use it for crappie and perch all spring so i needed to make room for me and my dad to be able to function in the boat. Most everything that i used to mod the boat are things that i already had ( Being a broke recent college grad) the marine carpet, wood and other odds and ends are all stuff laying around our garage. Anyway i have lots more to do as far as painting and tidying up the boat but ill have to wait to paint Erie PA winters are not so nice. the carpet needs cleaned due to a couple great days of fishing! as well as cleaning the bottom of the boat. Im a little hesitant to remove any of the seats or remove the foam in one of the seats to make more storage, any input would be great. I dont want to put a deck on it not necessary for what i do but i thought removing the foam in one of the seats would be a good place for storage. Any advice or input would be much appreciated! anyway Here are some pics....

The motor is an old 4.5hp ted williams ( this motor is a pain !!!) i may be able to get a 1981 9.8hp mercury in good condition for $450 let me know your thoughts???? Would it be too much motor????
100_0429-1.jpg

100_0422.jpg

100_0424.jpg

100_0423.jpg

100_0427.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0425.jpg

100_0426.jpg

Thought id include a pic of a day on the water last week
0206121624-1.jpg

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

Nice setup, good catch. $450 seems a bit high but it really depends on condition.. If it's clean and runs like a top then it might be something to consider. I'd try to stick w/ OMC if it were an older motor. Try your local craigslist for used deals. If you're patient a good deal will come up, just be ready to act quick.

Hey I really like the boat. I'm just outside of Columbus Ohio and I love crappie fishing so I had a question have u experienced any good fishing with the weird weather we've been having?

I have experienced some weird but very good fishing. The crappie have been biting very well for me and i have been getting into some perch. It seems much more like spring fishing rather than end of february. i hope this spring isnt messed up by the weather.

Welcome to the site. Love those Mirrocrafts! I would not hesitate to tear the foam out of one of the seats if you want to turn it into a storage compartment, but i would be a little leary about taking one of them out completely if you don't plan on reinforcing the sides somehow to keep them from flexing. I live just south of you, and eventhough we do get some rough winters, gotta admit this one has been crazy and extremely mild. I'm with you though, I bought an aluminum canoe last fall and have been itching for some good weather so I can get it painted. By the way, nice mess of fish there. All winter I've been making the drive to Eaton Resivoir and not doing much catching. Guess I shoulda brought the boat up to the bay #-o .

Man my mouth is watering looking at that cooler full of slab crappies and perch! Boy I miss the abundance and size of the panfish back East :(

hey crappie_slayer thanks for the input it is much appreciated! ive got about 18lbs of crappie and a few perch fillets in the freezer so far this February has been good to me :D havent heard of anyone doing much at eaton but if you ever want a little heads up on the bay bite before you make the drive let me know and ill do my best to give ya the scoop. i think i am going to put some storage in one of those seats, not sure wich one though. would it be better to put weight in the middle??

Welcome, I too have a Mirrorcraft. This site is so full of ideas. I am currently working on a full restore on mine.....my advise is to just look at what other people have done and adapt their ideas to your needs. Be patient and take your time and you too will have a great ole Mirrorcraft.

Good luck

Kevin