14' deep V sylvan mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had bought a tm plug, I thought of putting the female plug in my dash and just plugging and unplugging the tm everytime. Any suggestions thinking I should just get another switch and have it wired that way? Instead of buying a bunch of wire found an old extension cord at my dads farm and used that to wire up lights and fish finder, also found some 10 awg for the tm. 10 should be big enough? Only about a foot and a half run?

10awg should be enought for a short run like that. Your decking is going to fall apart quickly if your planning to use chip board instead of plywood.

fathead406 said:
Do you think it will even if I water seal, possible paint and then carpet it?

I done the same thing when I first built mine...Now it has only lasted about 3 or 4 years and is very soft. My 55lb trolling motor moves it ALOT when even on low setting. I have to redo mine the spring before being able to fish with it.

fathead406 said:
I had bought a tm plug, I thought of putting the female plug in my dash and just plugging and unplugging the tm everytime. Any suggestions thinking I should just get another switch and have it wired that way? Instead of buying a bunch of wire found an old extension cord at my dads farm and used that to wire up lights and fish finder, also found some 10 awg for the tm. 10 should be big enough? Only about a foot and a half run?

I used 10awg to wire my motor into a plug. Besure that you use a circuit break (at your battery) and I would go ahead and use the plugs also. I would go ahead and use the plugs, as it adds a nice touch and I feel like mine adds a "safety" feature to my motor. If I unplug it, it can't come on accidently and hurt someone it lifting anchor or something.

Yeah I should have bought regular plywood, but now that I have this I'm gonna go ahead and use it. I have a cover for my boat and am able to keep it in a barn out of season so hopefully it will last a little while. I agree with the plug I am going to go ahead and use it I think it will add a nice touch. Did happen to pick up a 50 amp circuit breaker also. Thanks for the input.

what about adding epoxy to the particle board? (im no expert) WIll definately cost ya, but personally I hate redoing something that I thought was finished.

well was finally able to get some more work done on the boat. Thanks to a real good friend thats a carpenter we were able to finish up the decking and get the carpet put down.

pic of bow with switch plate and trolling motor plug, another can holder on top next to the graph

Attachments

• k 013.jpg
    k 013.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 1,029

Why did you use 'chip board' (I.e. roofing & sub-flooring material)for the flooring instead of plywood? The stuff has a lousy reputation for holding together when exposed to wetness & not weathering well when unprotected. I've seen it painted & "waterproofed" & all that seem to accomplish was prolonging the inevitable disintegration. Not being critical just curious is all. Nice job on your project btw. Mine project is S-L-O-W getting launched-constant delays. :x Currently I am trying to install a propane wall furnace in the ole' workshop so I can actually work in there for prolonged periods of time without freezing my arse off. :lol:

Well to be honest with you I bought the chipboard because it was a little cheaper and I am on a little bit of a budget. I wish I would of went with something defferent but I didnt so this is gonna work. I put on two coats of watersealer and the outdoor carpet glue should help seal it also. I have a cover for the boat witch is on whenever not in use plus indoor storage so really not worried about it getting really weathered. Thanks though bloodstone, I have a little space heater that I run off kerosene that seems to work pretty well. Thanks also dyeguy appreciate it. Shes getting closer to being done.