14ft Alumacraft Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace1009

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and new to boating but I was able to get a 14ft alumacraft with a 2001 3hp johnson and a trailer for $300 so I decided to jump on it. The boat was structurally fine with no leaks. That made things a lot easier for me because immediately I can focus on prepping the boat for painting.

Here is a pic of the boat and a pic of the primer I will be using. It is rustoleums self etching primer. I am interested to hear what types other people used as well as what paints. I will get more pics of the boat flipped over later.

original.JPG
wire&prime.JPG

Once again I am am new to all of this(I have never really built anything haha) but I have the tools and the boat so why not. I look forward to this project and learning as I go. Go easy on me!

very nice find. i am new to the site as well but i guarantee you will find a lot of information on here. and the guys here seem really willing to answer questions

Good find, and welcome!

The self-etching primer seems to be what most folks here like and have had good luck with (it's what I picked up for my build). After stripping/sanding most also tend to wipe the hull down with tack cloth, and/or acetone to get a nice clean surface to prime.

For painting above the waterline, most folks use the Rustoleum Topside Paint: https://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

Below the waterline, a lot of people (myself included) use Steelflex (see the post "Everything Steelflex").

As far as the interior goes, you have a lot of options. Some don't paint it at all, some have used bedliner products or similar, some just prime and use the Topside, it's really up to your personal taste and how you'll be using the boat. Wood should be treated with something akin to Spar Urethane to make it last.

Be sure to keep us up to date with plenty of pictures!

- Dale

A drill and the stripping pad is what I used on my trailer, I did my trailer first and am now figuring out what I want to do with my boat. I did learn on my trailer to use a wire brush on the heavy rust first them the stripping pad, saved some wear and tear.

Thanks! I found an aluminum paint that I was going to put over the self etching primer at west marine. It's marsh grass green.
Here is a couple of pics after the primer. Looks good already. I am going to wait to flip the boat and take that small trolling motor mount off the front and then go back and prep prime and paint that later. Here are some pics

front-side-primed.JPG
front-primed.JPG
back-side-primed.JPG

Will be painting tomorrow if the weather permits. Then prepping the inside for painting. Will only be painting the side because I am putting in a casting deck and a floor. Any reccomendations on foaming under the deck and floor because it's a pretty shallow boat.
Thanks for all the future help!

thats a pretty interesting trailer in the first picture you posted... do you have any other pictures of the trailer as well as the motor too!? that looks like a trailer that someone could make pretty cheap but one that will work pretty good!

oh ya... great score on the boat! good luck in the build process! and have fun! :)

As you move on to a bigger motors, and maybe different boats, hang on to that 3 hp.

You have a treasure there.

Best wishes.

Keep posting pictures.s

:)

I too just picked up a 1976 14' Ouachita Aluminum Jon boat. $300.00 for the Boat, Trailer and 2 Working Trolly Motors.
I have had her for about 3 weeks now and have worked on her DAILY. it's allot of work, but learning along the way is a blast. Considering I've Never "fixed-up" anything in my life, except my friends...lol..sorry...
Anywho, Quick Question....When Applying the Etching Primer, I can use the stuff in the can right?
Also, Trying to find a good "Color" liner for the inside of the boat. I don't wat to get burned in the heat, and also dont want to go with black, due the the sun attraction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics very soon of some before and after. I just signed up yesterday....after reading some posts, I was inspired to become a member. Thanks!

Yes you can use the self etching primer in the can. It is going to take about 5 cans.

Also I have decided to go with aluminum for my support frame to cut back on weight. What have you guys been using to cut the angle irons?

Grinder? Circle Saw? Miter Saw? I am limited to those tools. Also what size aluminum do you recognize as well as types of rivets to combine? Thanks!!

Aluminum angle is very soft (Softer than Oak) and can be cut easily with a fine 80 tooth carbide saw.
I used mostly 2X2 aluminum box and 3/16 pop rivets of varying lengths.
Check my build and welcome to TB ...Jerry :)

ace1009 said:
Yes you can use the self etching primer in the can. It is going to take about 5 cans.

Also I have decided to go with aluminum for my support frame to cut back on weight. What have you guys been using to cut the angle irons?

Grinder? Circle Saw? Miter Saw? I am limited to those tools. Also what size aluminum do you recognize as well as types of rivets to combine? Thanks!!

As you've probably seen in some of the threads, an aluminum ladder is a handy source of support material.
(You know, like that one your neighbor REFUSES to put away. :) )

Hack saw would do in a pinch. Aluminum is strong, but surrenders easily to cutting instruments.

Be safe, have fun, post pictures.

Painted the bottom and sides. Just need to do some touchups. I flipped the boat and took some pictures of the inside and what my Layout will be. I am going to clean out the inside and paint what will be showing and pick up some aluminum angle irons. I have been calling scrapyards and metal companies to try to find a good deal but have had no luck. A lumber yard in downtown charleston sells 8ft for about $16. Not sure how much I need but I think five will be enough. If anyone knows a cheap place near charleston to buy please let me know. I have zero experience dealing with rivets but I will be using 3/16" pop rivets to combine the aluminum to each other and to the ribs. I have no experience cutting so I will be using a hacksaw. I can only imagine how long that will take. The old casting deck I removed had a seat mount so I will be reusing that. Take a look at the picture I edited in photoshop. Any feedback and advice would be great! Thanks!

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image_6.jpeg
image_7.jpeg
image_8.jpeg
layout.jpg

I have some updates on the boat. I have been putting in the aluminum casting deck supports in and I am almost done. I need to decide if I am going to put a hatch in and I need to decide how to add extra support on the rails running across the sides because they run over the side of the boat not the bottom. Also I am trying to decide if I can afford to run a two battery setup with a 1436. I want to have my bow and anchor lights as well as a bilge pump and(livewell pump eventually)and trolling motor hooked up to a switch panel(I suppose trolling motor would just hook straight up to the battery). I dont know anything about them but if anyone has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I will also be throwing on some strong lights for flounder gigging at night eventually. So I am assuming with all of this I may need to be running two batteries. Lastly what size plywood have you guys been using for your decks? I would like to keep the rig as light as possible. Perhaps I will have a battery under the casting deck and one in the back to balance the weight. Me and the buddy I fish with ate about 165 so were not big guys. Any help would be great thanks!

a-1.jpeg
a-2.jpeg
a-3.jpeg
a-4.jpeg
a-5.jpeg
a-6.jpeg

I finished the aluminum supporting for the casting deck and I have begun to cut out the plywood for the casting deck. After I cut out my storage hatch I will finish painting the inside of the boat and get ready to carpet. I am going to have to wait until I get some more money to actually bolt down the deck because I still need to purchase batteries and accessories and am going to have to figure out some wiring for the bow lights and trolling motor. Just curious how everyone has actually bolted the deck down? Also my 54 pound thrust bow mount trolling motor came in today so I posted a pic. Right now I have a 2000 3.3 hp Johnson which is going to push the boat along pretty slowly but I am talking with someone about purchasing a 2002 15hp yamaha 4 stroke for $850. That is really really good correct? I know nothing about this stuff and like I said in my first post I am learning as I go. Let me know what you guys think and Thanks!

image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg

ace1009 said:
Just curious how everyone has actually bolted the deck down?

I'd run some SS screws through the deck into the alum angle. Your boat looks great so far =D> =D>

The 15 HP Yammi sounds like a deal, if it's in good order.

Hey everyone. Been a while since I posted I have been busy with school. I had some time to work on the boat over the weekend so Here are some pics. I am really stuck on how to build a mount for my bow mount trolling motor. The front lip is about 5" higher than where it sits so that is how high it will need to come up. I am still looking for a decent 9.9-15 hp outboard. If anyone knows of any for sale near Charleston, SC that would be helpful. It seems my budget will only allow for an older 15hp but I can get some pretty decent 2000-2003 model 9.9 for the same price. I know that extra 5hp will prob make a huge difference tho. Also does anyone run a 12v battery to their troller and a smaller battery to their electronics(lights, bilge, raido ect..)? Do you guys have onboard battery chargers or do I have to buy one that I just hook up at home and how much are those? Thanks for all the advice and Help!

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_5.jpeg
image_6.jpeg

Awesome deal you got on that boat! Was curious on how that drill and stripping pad worked for removing the existing paint? And did you have to remove all existing paint? Nice work and good luck!

Thanks. The paint was chipped up pretty good. I used the wire wheel to to scuff it up but didnt take all of the paint off. It worked really well.

I just wanted to post some more pics of the boat up. I also posted a link to a video I made of the boat so let me know what ya think. I still have a lot to do and unfortunately no money to do it so for now it is a waiting game. I am looking at a 15 hp and Here is the link to it on craigslist:
https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/3272509632.html
Let me know what ya think and if it would be good for a 1436 and what a good deal on it would be.

Here is the link to my youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAzvBW4P9Y

bm-1.jpeg
bm-2.jpeg
bm-3.jpeg
bm-4.jpeg
bm-5.jpeg

Latest posts