1648 Alumacraft.. Will it float?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNbowfishing

Reaction score
So I bought a 1648 last summer and I've transformed it into a Bowfishing rig. Now, I'm not sure if it's going to float. My dad claims there's nothing to worry about, but I am. There's a lot of aluminum welded together for the deck and I have a 45lb bow mount minnekota. I have 6 hps lights and they are heavy. They're about 7 pounds per light. There's a half inch sheet of plywood on the deck with carpet, too. I'm only planning on ever going out with myself and 2 partners. We're all 170-185 lbs. in the back I plan to have a big rubber tub and a 2000w champion generator and a 20hp motor. I will also want to add a generator stand made of 1x1 square aluminum to help with the sound and, honestly, to make it look cooler lol. I should mention that the front platform is all 2x1 aluminum. I believe it's rated for 1,000 pounds but I'm just worried about the front end! What do you guys think? Any suggestions to help stabilize it? I can post a picture too, if someone wants to get a visual. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4396.PNG
    IMG_4396.PNG
    286 KB · Views: 3,345
  • IMG_4395.PNG
    IMG_4395.PNG
    338.8 KB · Views: 3,344
welcome aboard !!
that is a LOT of highground that must be taken seriously.
are you using batteries or generator for the lights ?

in my world, I would try to concentrate the weight of batteries, fuel tanks
and other heavy stuff to the lowest center part of the boat that you can.
like a sailboat ballast - the heavy keel will "help" prevent capsizing and provide a stable platform.
prior to going out with other people = make a rule that everyone does not gather
to one side of the boat at one time. [until you go out a few times to learn your limits].

Johnny said:
welcome aboard !!
that is a LOT of highground that must be taken seriously.
are you using batteries or generator for the lights ?

in my world, I would try to concentrate the weight of batteries, fuel tanks
and other heavy stuff to the lowest center part of the boat that you can.
like a sailboat ballast - the heavy keel will "help" prevent capsizing and provide a stable platform.
prior to going out with other people = make a rule that everyone does not gather
to one side of the boat at one time. [until you go out a few times to learn your limits].

I ran a couple extension cords through some1/2 inch emt to a generator in the back.

Tman said:
LOL looks awesome.

I don't think you'll sink but you may tip over being that high!

Tip over?? Lol.. I guess I could mention that Bowfishing is really only possible when there's less than 10mph winds, aka glassy waters up here in sota. What do you mean tip?

You'll be ok with the weight, as long as you have the batteries and generator weight In the back, the problem I see is the height of the deck, any weight you put one the front deck is going to transfer down your gunnels to the transom cap possibly pulling the gunnels away from the transom. Keep your eye on the welds where the gunnels and transom meet, and reinforce if needed.

I see the tip factor someone referred to, With the deck as high as it is, when you step towards the rail the boat will probably feel like it wants to pitch you over, you'll find out what the limits are once you put it in the water. Deck looks great, a lot of time and materials involved, Hope it works out for you.

With too many guys on one side of the boat it is very likely that you could capsize because you have brought the center of gravity of the boat to a point much higher than the manufacturer ever designed for. personally i wouldn't get anywhere near the gunnels of the boat. imaging standing on the gunnel alone and how far the boat would lean to the side. then put yourself 12"-14" higher and do it... too much for me lol but I've never bow fished and I may just be a worry wart. Like Johnny said, test it and learn your limits.

Definitely interested, at least get it on video for YouTube lessons on center of gravity if it tips! Some impressive work you've done, be proud of that sink or swim.... Well float!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in agreement with others. You have done some impressive work on that platform. From your photos it looks like the bow platform is sort of cantilevered over the sides. If that is the actual case then part of the platform you could stand on is actually outboard of the gunnel. It will be interesting to see how that works. Looks like you need to have some "sea trials". I hope you share those as this is a very interesting build out.

Thanks.

Larry

Boat looks awesome to me man. Nice work. Please post follow up on your testing!

all in all - it looks like it will work for you.

for the trial, tie your boat with a 50ft rope and have someone on the
dock or bank film you while you walk around all over the boat alone.
then, put two more people in the boat with you - still tied with a rope.
have everyone move around as you normally would be when fishing.
then - you will have a good idea of how your boat performs when you
watch the video yourself from outside the box.

good luck !

Little update for you guys.. trying to add some weight in the back and going to run some 8 awg wires to the back of the boat for the troller. Once the ice melts I'll throw up a video!

Attachments

• IMG_4445.PNG
    IMG_4445.PNG
    285 KB · Views: 266