1648 question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchmtnboy

Reaction score
First off I have enjoyed this site alot while researching a new purchase. I am looking to down size from a crestliner superhawk. Anyone have experience with a 20 hp on a 1648 mv (alumacraft). I dont care about alot about speedd but i want to run plane confortably with a fair load. I have found some better deals on the 20. Thanks.

most folks put a 25 2 stroke at least on a 1648, the 20 would push it, but probably not very fast if you had a heavy load, i'm sure it will plane off though

i'd put a 40 or 60 on that hull if it were mine

clinchmtnboy said:
Thanks, I thinking that, but I was wanting the deal on that 20.

My 2011 Alumacraft 1648 MV is rated for 30HP. A 20 should do you fine. Good luck.

Seems like most people are speed whores when it comes to boats and motors. :twisted:
You'll plane comfortably with a 20hp on there.

weldbilt 1648 mv, 30 hp tohatsu efi 4 stroke. 2 guys max speed 27-28 mph. 3 guys 26 mph. uses a lot more gas w/ 3 guys. cruis nicely at 20-22 mph.also thought of a 20 hp, but liked the idea of no carbs. especially now with ethanol problems. iam not a speed freak. any other questions i wiull reply.

My 1654 Tracker Grizzley does 28 mph with a 30 hp merc., 12 mph with a 9.9 johnson.
Depends what you want, but a 20 hp should be OK.

Maybe some more info is needed? What conditions are you using the boat in, how much weight in the boat, etc.? I just bought a 1648 Polar Kraft and put a 15hp Honda tiller on it. I use the boat on inland lakes and with me @ 220lbs, wife (@ a lot less [-X ), our eight year old, and our five year old, the 15hp is more than enough for just running around the lakes. Gets up on plane no problem, runs pleanty fast for me.

When we were shopping the sales guys kept pushing more hp because they say the 15 hp would work but @ 20hp the motor doesn't have to work as hard as the 15, or the 25hp doesn't have to work as hard as the 20, etc. Seemed like the 'ol "there's no replacement for displacemnt" argument to me.

Talked to a lot of people who own similiar boats and run on similiar lakes and they convinced me 15hp was pleanty.

15hp works for me in the areas I take the boat and I'm happy with it.

Best of luck.

I had a 15HP on a 1448 and it planed out just fine with three guys and gear. I also had a 1648 with a 30HP Johnson and it ran really well with three guys and gear.

So a well-tuned 20 with the right prop will do just fine for you. Like was said above, you could get a LOT more speed with a bigger motor, but speed isn't everything.

Thanks guys! Speed is not important as long as i can get up on plane and cruise.I just want to get out more often. My other boat is much harder to pull and must be put up in garage> A real pain alone.

The closer you can get to the max rated HP of the hull, the better. It will plane easier, use less fuel at cruising speed as well. I've never run an alumacraft 1648 with a 20, but I have run a War Eagle 648LDV with a Yamaha F20 and it was a turd to say the least. With 2 big guys in the boat, it will not plane. With just me, it'd plane (although slowly) and would top out at 23 mph; at 6000 RPM. It had to be wide open all the time more or less. Just was not much fun. I run a 25 on mine, which is a 1548LDV (same as a 1648 but a foot shorter) and even the 25 is underpowered, IMO. But it works for me and the girlfriend. It's a brand new rig...with a 14 year old motor that I have $100 in. I bought the motor with a 1542 Grumman from a guy for $1500, then sold the boat & trailer for $1600, kept the motor, and bought a $200 recoil starter assembly as a backup (bolts right on).

The only good thing about a 20 is that it's typically lighter than most of the 25's....at least comparing the 4 stroke motors anyway.

Latest posts