1652 Flat bottom Jon rehaul questions and advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdalle6

Reaction score
First of all just want to say hey. Been browsing the forums for a while now and finally decided im ready to start on this project boat of mine. Problem is, this is my first boat, and I am a college student with a college budget and very few tools to start with. I am hoping that all of the expertise on here will be able to help me get this boat to where I want it to be.

The boat is a 1989 flat bottom 1652 Jon(I will try to post pics when I get home from work tonight) and I am wanting to turn it into a duck hunting/fishing/bowfishing boat. I have done nothing to it so far besides removing what the previous owner had on it. The boat is not in terrible shape, but its definitely not a 10. I am wanting to get it as close as I can to 10/10 before I start customizing it, and that is where you all come in. If you are still reading to this point, THANK YOU!

I am wanting to check/replace the transom if necessary, remove the bench seats and foam and replace both with new, fill any holes that the previous owner put in it from accessories and decking, and then repaint it. Unfortunately, the only part of that I know how to do is to repaint it. :cry:

If anyone can offer up some free advice on where to start with this thing I would greatly appreciate it, and if you are in the Lexington KY area I would be more than happy to have a hunting/fishing partner to use this thing with. Thanks in advance.

C

These are the most recent pics I have of the boat. The green plywood in the back has been removed and boat is now bare and hopefully ready to be worked on.

C

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 837
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 837
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 837
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344457#p344457 said:
cdalle6 » Today, 14:28[/url]"]I am wanting to check/replace the transom if necessary, remove the bench seats and foam and replace both with new, fill any holes that the previous owner put in it from accessories and decking, and then repaint it. Unfortunately, the only part of that I know how to do is to repaint it. :cry:

You got a very nice size boat to start with. Although you say you don't know much, you seem to have the starting off list pretty dead on.

First, find out the shape of your transom. There were no pics posted, but look at the wood (if it's wood), see if it looks rotten, has any flex, or if you can push a screwdriver through it. If so, replace it.

Second, leaks, fill the boat w/ water and find leaks. There are numerous threads debating the best way to fix leaks, but usually rebucking/replacing rivets, replace rivets w/ SS nuts and bolts, welding, or covering w/ JB Weld will work, find out what you can do and roll with it.

Not sure about removing benches and replacing them, probably don't need to do that unless you want to change the layout. But, do check the foam under the bench and make sure it's not waterlogged.

good luck

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344464#p344464 said:
Ictalurus » 10 Mar 2014, 17:00[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344457#p344457 said:
cdalle6 » Today, 14:28[/url]"]I am wanting to check/replace the transom if necessary, remove the bench seats and foam and replace both with new, fill any holes that the previous owner put in it from accessories and decking, and then repaint it. Unfortunately, the only part of that I know how to do is to repaint it. :cry:

You got a very nice size boat to start with. Although you say you don't know much, you seem to have the starting off list pretty dead on.

First, find out the shape of your transom. There were no pics posted, but look at the wood (if it's wood), see if it looks rotten, has any flex, or if you can push a screwdriver through it. If so, replace it.

Second, leaks, fill the boat w/ water and find leaks. There are numerous threads debating the best way to fix leaks, but usually rebucking/replacing rivets, replace rivets w/ SS nuts and bolts, welding, or covering w/ JB Weld will work, find out what you can do and roll with it.

Not sure about removing benches and replacing them, probably don't need to do that unless you want to change the layout. But, do check the foam under the bench and make sure it's not waterlogged.

good luck

The reason I am wanting to replace the bench seats and foam is because the previous owner cut/drilled into them pretty badly and they arent in the greatest shape, along with not giving me much of a solid base to start with if I want to add pedestal seats. Thanks for your reply and advice on the transom!

C

Your boat looks to be close to what I have, except that I am a 1452. The easiest way I found to take out the seats is to get a wood chisel place it against the tail end of the rivet and with a few blows from a hammer they shear clean off. The I used a nail set to punch out the head. My seats had the old white Styrofoam under them. Both had at least 2 mouse nests. Taking this out you will need to replace it with some other flotation material. I plan on putting 1 1/2 inch pink foam board between the floor struts and any other dead space I end up with.

You've got a nice looking boat! It'll make a nice hunting, fishing, bow fishing boat. Are you going to leave the center seat out and make a more open floor space?

I'd get it wet and figure out what you really want to do with it and how you want to go about it. Looks like you have pin bases. If those bases aren't supported with backer plates they'll flex and feel crappy.

On a first boat with no budget I'd just enjoy it and keep the budget down to bare necessities to keep it functional. Maybe put a simple floor in and figure out some kind of duck blind if you are that into ducks.

I will say, I spent a huge amount of time in my boat just making motor noises and casting sinkers into the grass before I did any metal cutting.

I have to second getting in the boat and just seeing how it works as is. Once you finally decide what is important to you, make the changes. I've been in boats my whole life so I know what I want and how to get any boat I have fishable for me.
Try and think it all out first. Everything you take out or change will affect some other aspect of the boat.

Latest posts