1955 Wolverine Wagemaker 16ft Semi-V Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_ACL

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just picked-up a 1955 Wolverine Wagemaker 16ft Semi-V hull with a 77 Johnson 35. The PO added a side console at some point. This boat was owned by one guy since 1956 and then he gave it to his daughter and son-in-law. He had added a front and back casting platform also. Amazingly the plywood is still solid although a bit dried out. I am planning on doing some quicker modifications this year so I can get some fishing in and then do a complete overhaul in the winter. I have been hanging out looking through all the different projects and reading up on the various threads on here for the past month. Gave me the idea and motivation to go out and buy a fixer-upper. I have no experience with this type of thing so it was definitely a leap of faith. I have seen the great feedback and advice that members have provided so I hope you all can help me past some of the more tricky parts as I work through this project. The steering cables and throttle controls are working fine. The motor was overhauled with new lines, ignition, water pump, etc.. It starts right up and runs like a top. I did run into a ventilation, high revving with loss of propulsion, issue when in rough waves. I did some research and found out that the converging ring was missing. Just got the new one and hammered it on. Hope it takes care of that issue. I have some loose rivets to replace on the hull and several holes above the waterline to fill...was pretty leaky on the water but it did come with a beat up bilge pump that kept us from having to bail. Transom is solid but feels dried out also. Thinking to go ahead and replace that too while the boats apart. Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

001.jpg
015_comp.jpg
005.jpg
014_comp.jpg
006_comp1.jpg
008_comp.jpg
021_comp.jpg

Got all the galvanized guides and aluminum tubing from around the boat and trailer removed. Pulled the old platforms and pulled off the old carpet. I ran into an issue when removing the center seat though. The bottom of the seat is riveted through a bracing band which is in turn riveted to the hull all the way across the bottom of the boat. Should I go ahead and remove the entire strip or should I just remove the sides of the seat from the support strips sticking up and then sawzall them off leaving the bottom strip and rivets in place? I do have a couple of loose rivets that I have to rebuck or replace in the bottom strip on the floor but I am leery of replacing nearly 40 rivets from the bottom of the boat. Let me know your thoughts on this one as I am holding up removing the seat at this point.

007_comp.jpg011_comp1.jpg006_comp.jpg002_comp.jpg013_comp.jpg

TheMaestro said:
That horn is MASSIVE! Air raid siren??

Nice work so far, keep posting!

Thanks Maestro I had looked at your mod just recently. Really nice job! I think it is great you got your daughter to help out with the boat. I am trying to determine how to get my daughter involved without loss of life or limb in the process. My story is similar to yours. Went fishing a few times when I was a little kid. Just a bobber and worm. Dad was not really into it. Couple of years back I went trout fishing with a friend and got hooked...pardon the pun. Since then I started going bank/shore fishing wherever someone would not shoot at or arrest me. Up in Missouri where I lived before moving to Texas there was a wildlife management area that rented out jon boats on its lakes for $5 a day. I started going every weekend I could find the time. My daughter and wife enjoyed it also. Ended up buying a battery and trolling motor to put on the back of the boats I rented. Anyway, no such place near where I live now. I flipped out on the tinboats vids on youtube about a month ago and here I am. Trying to figure out what to do about my center seat... #-o.

Do you mean the strip of riveted metal that you showed in the pic? If you are putting in a floor, you could cover it if the floor is high enough.. Or you could carefully bend it down and flat.

That is what I was thinking as well. I believe I will go ahead and take the sides off but leave the bottom strip attached. That way I don't have to deal with all the holes in the bottom of the hull and I maybe able to use some of the panels sticking up as a base for the framework. Also, I can always take the bottom strip out afterwards if I change my mind. Thanks for the feedback Maestro!

Thanks jvanhees and BW. I am getting off to a slow start cause I have to rig u[ a lift system to take the outboard off my boat. It is only 35 hp but my back ain't what it use to be. I got the eyebolt and come-along ready and building the motor stand. Part of the problem is that I am not equipped for the work. Seems nearly half of what I am having to buy is the tools and what-not someone with a decent workshop would already have. Hope to get all the control cables off, lift off the motor and then remove the console tomorrow morning. Will do a leak test after...I know I have at least two loose rivets on the starboard side by the 3rd row bench seat. Once I get that done let the sanding begin. The outside hull is not painted but has 50+ years of grit and oxidation to get to clean aluminum... I like the shiny aluminum look but I may have to go ahead and seal it with something to make sure it does not leak.

The horn does work. I was disappointed though. It sounds kinda tinny...I was expecting a fog horn... :|

Latest posts