1973 16' Crestliner V-hull Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c35a294ef93a26c8134315ef9ac7a1e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowhere even close to 300 lbs in wood weight. Now human weight, that’s a different story. [emoji15]

Building that boat out of aluminum wouldn't make much difference in speed the boat runs. Good build, looks really good.

Theres this guy on youtube that does these conversions for people and he weighed wood vs aluminum and there wasnt much difference in weight and the wood actually weighed less.

akboats said:
Theres this guy on youtube that does these conversions for people and he weighed wood vs aluminum and there wasnt much difference in weight and the wood actually weighed less.

Yep. In some cases it is lighter but in general it's not that much heavier. For the cost difference I can't justify aluminum.

There’s no question about the benefits of aluminum for the sake of durability. That being said, I like boat building so I’m sure that by the time this wood wears out I’ll be ready to rebuild it anyways.

DiveLiberty said:
There’s no question about the benefits of aluminum for the sake of durability. That being said, I like boat building so I’m sure that by the time this wood wears out I’ll be ready to rebuild it anyways.

I'm with you there. I like boat building and wood working so I can combine 2 hobbies. My first build lasted 5 years and I didn't get it sealed very good and I didn't keep it covered after the 3rd year. I had already decided I wanted to redo my layout so I decided to kinda "abuse" the boat to see how long the wood lasted. The floor started to warp a little but that was it by the time I tore it back apart.