1973 Duracraft: Update 10-4-2010 New Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to get back home and get back on track with this. Should be heading back home in about a week. Really ready to get it going again.

Well, despite the heat we resumed the build and the filming finally. Things are going well, aircraft stripper did remove the resin that coated the bottom. I'll be posting some pictures tonight. If all goes well should be putting on the steelflex this weekend. Things are starting to look up.

Here are some more recent photos. The aircraft stripper did pretty well on removing the the unidentified bottom coat substance. My most current photos are on the wife's camera so these will have to do for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 600
Got a lot done the weekend. Finished stripping the bottom and sides. I have the sides, bow and transom primed. We will be giving the SteelFlex this weekend.

Filming went well this weekend. From here on out I suspect things will pick up. Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 575
Thanks, I appreciate it. The next couple of weeks will see a lot of developments with the boat. With the Steel Flex being the next step. Then the decking of the interior and re-installing the benches. Looking forward to things ahead.

So, it was 107 here yesterday with a heat index of 116 :shock: so I didn't work on any of the little things to do on the boat after work. I have drawn up several ideas of how I want to rig it up but hard to get a feel of it. So I decided to mock up a scaled model of the boat and the mess around with different decking options. So here is the the idea after redoing the different arrangements of the deck / consoles.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 585
I ordered the steel flex today :) Will ship out tomorrow. Can't wait, I went with the typical olive drab green.

Nevillizer said:
I ordered the steel flex today :) Will ship out tomorrow. Can't wait, I went with the typical olive drab green.

I got the emailed invoice today, $70.92 and it shipped today. :)

Got the steelflex in today. :) It's gonna be a busy weekend.

Attachments

• Steel Flex W OD Pigment.jpg
    Steel Flex W OD Pigment.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 817
If that is the regular Steel Flex, make your first coat super thin. Mix just a 1/4 cup and roll it evey where. Even if it doesn't look like much, just keep rolling the roller where you want the steel flex to go. Then wait 20 minutes and put on the heavier coats. The thin coats makes a world of difference, it gives the heavier coats something to stick to.

TTSAM, in my application my first coat got tackier after a hour rather then 20 minutes. The instructions say wait 2 hours but will depend on temp and humility. I'm sure it can vary...

Yeah, according to what I have read and what the guy at Fasco said, time in between coats is relative to the heat. He said once it has reached the tackiness of the sticky side of duct tape then apply the next coat. So, with the heat here I'm sure I'll be moving kinda fast.

It is all relative to the air temp. I'm in Tampa, it was hot outside when I did mine. You will be surprised how fast it will harden up while sitting in the mixing cup compared to it being spread out on your boat. The thicker the faster is cures. Becareful if you used foam rollers. When it starts to get real sticky it will pull the roller apart. Have several and change often. The finish on my boat came out like glass except in the area the roller came apart. I cleaned it up and I am happy it was on the bottom and never seen.

Yeah, the Fasco gut told about the roller issue. I'm gonna go with the thinnest nap rollers I can find.

Started on the steel flex today. Short break in between coats. Will get some pictures up this evening. :)

We got the steel flex done, what a booger that was. I ended up using those rectangular fine nape edgers that you use to paint close to molding. Worked out pretty good. Things I learned: Make sure who ever is mixing it is paying attention. It's easier to work with about 10 oz of the stuff at a time. The container that you mix it in will get ridiculously hot (I guess due to the chemical reaction). So don't hold it in your hand. Doing it outside works well until a little breeze picks up and blows some debris on the boat (picked it out with tweezers). Anyway, got it done here is a couple of pictures. Came out more shiny than I expected. It is very slick.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 716
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 716

Latest posts