1980 14 ft Blue Fin Deep-V Mod Project Started 3-29-11

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushead11

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I landed on this site looking for instructions on how to replace a rotted transom. After surfing for about a month I got enough ideas and inspiration to finally make the changes I have been thinking about for the past 8-9 years.

The issue I had was trying to make the boat usable for both ways I fish it.
1. Small, no motor farm ponds for bass (need to be able to row)
2. Larger lakes that can get rough for walleye.

I would like to:
1. Replace Transom
2. Raise the floor to the bottom of the bench seats
3. Put in front and rear casting decks
4. Add storage to the middle bench
5. Add and mount Garmin 140 Fishfinder

I have decided to leave the middle bench in for stability and seating for person rowing and use wood instead of angle for the framing. Simply becasue I already had most of what I needed. Below are some before pics and I will add more as I go. Any help or suggestions during my project would be great. This site has been awesome!

IMG_5875.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5860.jpg

Cut and glued transom. I used 3/4 inch plywood and PL350 to stick it together. Then put 3 coats of Spar Urethane on it. It was pretty snug getting it back in there...
IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5878.jpg
IMG_5913Medium.jpg

Here are some pics of the framing of the middle deck areas connecting the benches and the front casting deck. I used 1/2 x 1 angle to make brackets and mounted them to the benches with rivets. It was cheaper to do it this way than spending $.60 a piece on strong ties. I used some 2x4 for the main bracing that actually touches the hull and then filled in the rest with 2x2s.
IMG_5907Medium.jpg
IMG_5909Medium.jpg
IMG_5912Medium.jpg

Latest posts